Had my first crazy "new mom moment"

Arjun&Yoshi

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
So our baby RT came home yesterday and he went to sleep in his hide around 8pm last night. This morning about 12 hours later he was still not out. Then I started to panic because I couldn't see him at all. He was down pretty deep in the substrate. So I'm assuming now that he's out and fine, that it's normal for a baby Russian to bury himself down pretty low and that he can breathe just fine?

I was so worried because I couldn't find him and then when I did he wasn't moving and was so deep in the substrate. I swear it's like having a new born again LOL

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I know – even we experienced keepers feel that sometimes with a newborn. Likely he just needs some time to rest and get adjusted. And depending on how young he is, they do sleep a lot as babies. If he doesn't get up for two days, I would suggest getting him in his water dish. It takes time, but he will get used to his new home. I know I felt at moments that I wasn't sure if I would make it through my first baby box turtle's babyhood, but it gets easier in time.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I know how you feel. I've had Sheldon for 8 days now, and the first few mornings I first check on him, it felt like an accomplishment that he was alive and breathing, that I hadnt done anything wrong to my precious baby !
When I'm at work, I call home for updates to what he's doing, etc.

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
If you ever want a good scare, finding your non-burrowing tortoise sleeping like this … It looked like a full on tortoise snuff film the first time I saw it …
10703703_10152693579205874_3297546843273104981_n.jpg

kmartin

central Florida
How about the 'old mom' scare? My mother is disabled and lives with me. She doesn't walk very well, so I set up my 3 baby box turtles in an enclosure outside her bedroom window for her to watch. Well I got a call at work last week from her to say that 1 of the babies was dead in the water bowl. The other 2 were crawling on him and he just wouldn't move. She was devastated, and so was I. Well, when I got home and got out the flashlight and went out to check on my poor baby he wasn't there! Apparently the little darling was hogging the water bowl/swimming pool so the others couldn't get in and soak too. It was the longest drive home from work ever!!!!