Guess my Gender!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
Torty has lived with me for 1 year now. He weighed .9 ounces when he arrived and now weighs 7+ ounces. I was told that they can be sexed when they reach 3 1/2 inches SCL, and he's 4 inches now so we're curious. Let me know if he's a she, or vice versa. Thanks!
100_0337.jpg

Here's another shot of Torty, because he doesn't want people to like him just for his parts and bits;)

100_0336.jpg

Thanks for viewing! Hermann's are so much fun!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Edna:

I'm thinking male, but I'm no way even near an expert on Hermann's tortoises.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks, Yvonne. We're neutral on the matter, but would like to know.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Is the belly concaved? Hard to tell from the pic. If so I too would guess male. - But I know NOTHING...lol and am sure someone will chime in soon with a positive ID - Just love playing the guess my sex game :p

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Girl for sure! I would bet a really nice dinner on it! Males at that size are almost always way more developed than that. Longer tail and a larger spur on the tip of the tail. Best wishes and congrats on your girl, she is very pretty. Douglas

Females also grow faster than males and are more round, as is yours at this size.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks all for the input on Torty's gender. Two more Hermann's that are supposed to be female will be arriving soon (maybe Tuesday?) and I post shots of all 3 of them then. Torty might even get a real name in the near future.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If you can, please post a photo of the side view of the tail extended. Based on appearance of the thick tail and cloacal slit in the first photo you posted I still believe it's a male. A side view with the tail extended should tell for sure. Not all males at that size are extremely developed. I have a good example of that in two of the males that I have below. The larger one on the right is older, yet not as obvious. It should also be noted that there is no set "rule" that female Hermann's grow faster than males. It very depends upon the individual and to some extent the sexual ratio of the group in which they are kept.

malehermcomp-1.jpg

maleHermtail-1.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Now I can see the pics. You're right, the larger one isn't obvious at all. I'll post tail shots of all 3 later today. I'm anxiously awaiting my new arrivals!!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Edna said:
Now I can see the pics. You're right, the larger one isn't obvious at all. I'll post tail shots of all 3 later today. I'm anxiously awaiting my new arrivals!!

I have my fingers crossed for you.

bumblebee51

5 Year Member
I have a hermann who I'm quite sure is a male! He is only 2.5 inches but he has a rather large tail and he appears to be dished underneath.
I'm no expert, but I think that Torty is a female :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Hmmm... Torty-Man is definitely a man-tort. No question. All I can say is "SCHNIKES!!!!!" and I'm going to spare you all any pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.