Growth

Macy Fidler

Something that bothers me is seeing other Russian torts younger than mine growing at a faster rate. I don't notice my tort growing too often, and he is pretty small for his age. I do the calcium supplements and he is out in the sun most of the time. How else could I help his growing rate?

Macy Fidler

every tortoise grows at a different rate if he is getting the right care i wouldn't really work too much. how old and how big is he? does he have access to water and a varied diet?
Well, whenever I got him, he hadn't been in the typical conditions for a Russian. Fed mainly lettuce and no UVB OR UVA. I think that may have something to do with it.
He is atleast 5, and his length is only 3.5 inches. I removed his water yesterday because I was told the bowl was hazardous , but I soak him daily. He is fed dandelions every single day along with spring mix, kale, and greens.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
If the bowl was hazardous then try a terra cotta plant saucer. These work great and your tort does need water available at all times. A well balanced diet with varity is key to a healthy tort. Try plaintain, this is real common out in most yards. Also mallow, mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, thistle, chickory are all good to add. How is your humidity? I noticed more growth with mine when I upped humidity and fed mazuri twice a week.