Growth on neck?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'd need to see it in real life to know for sure, but my first thought was at one time the tortoise scraped his skin leaving the skin attached at one side. The loose skin died and dried up, but is still attached to live skin. ????

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To see if it's what Yvonne's thought is, soak in warm water for a long time, like at least an hour. Make the water deep enough that the area is always in water. Keep water and tort warm the whole time. Then about the hour mark, see if you can carefully pull any of the dark skin/area off. Watch carefully while doing it to not get any fresh skin. If it doesn't come off fairly easy, then stop and leave it be.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
You could gently rub the area with a damp Q-tip while it is wet - that might help to loosen it too. He looks
a fine chap !
Angie

Kristylm14

Upper penninsula Michigan
You could gently rub the area with a damp Q-tip while it is wet - that might help to loosen it too. He looks
a fine chap !
Angie
Thank you! I love him! He seems healthy and happy. I've done tons of research and have changed up what his previous owners were doing to try to keep him healthy.

Kristylm14

Upper penninsula Michigan
To see if it's what Yvonne's thought is, soak in warm water for a long time, like at least an hour. Make the water deep enough that the area is always in water. Keep water and tort warm the whole time. Then about the hour mark, see if you can carefully pull any of the dark skin/area off. Watch carefully while doing it to not get any fresh skin. If it doesn't come off fairly easy, then stop and leave it be.
Thank you! That's so smart. I was hoping during the soak I gave him today that it would fall off but it hasn't. Still hoping maybe during a shed it will. But I'll try this! Thank you!