Growing Succulents

Tiff

5 Year Member
Hey,

I'm planning on growing succulents for my torts to eat. I'm planning on growing the common types found in plant stores. Are their any types that are poisonous i should be aware of?

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S.

I am currently growing dandelions indoors. They take longer to grow lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Don't buy anything from the Euphorbia family. The sap is toxic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know of several commonly sold species that are toxic. You are going to have to check each one individually once you get the latin names.

I can tell you that these are safe:
"red apple", Aptenia cordifolia
"ice plant", Delosperma sp.
"organ pipe cactus", Stenocereus thurberi, but you have to hand cut the spines off…
And I have 10 varieties of spineless opuntia.
Some Sedun sp. are safe, but some, like the commonly sold "brown bean" are toxic.
Aloe varieties are not toxic.
And I know of several other ice plant types with smaller "fingers" that are okay, but I can't 100% tell you their latin names.

By the way… What species of tortoise are you going to feed these to?

Tiff

5 Year Member
Thank you! I have a Russian and a Greek.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Hey,

I'm planning on growing succulents for my torts to eat. I'm planning on growing the common types found in plant stores. Are their any types that are poisonous i should be aware of?

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S.

I am currently growing dandelions indoors. They take longer to grow lol.

I don't really think it's very cost-effective, or efficient to grow succulents as food, because they take so long to produce any significant volume of foliage.
That said, Tom's suggestions are good.
Many, many succulents are dangerously toxic, especially African ones. Do not offer any plant of which you are not positive of the Latin name. Many types of succulents are distasteful, if not actually toxic, and so will not be palatable to animals.
All in all, I don't know why people don't just devote their spaces to fast-growing edible weeds and leafy green vegetables...

Reactions: Tom