Greetings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanysculptress

5 Year Member
My family has had a turtle garden for years, which is subtropical. Yesterday I adopted 2 Russians which is beyond thrilling! Any advice getting them acclimated/menus would be appreciated from experienced members with this species. We built a special, planted garden just for their more arid needs w/cement block walls aprox. 11 inches high. They have lived in a tank primarily for about 5 years and seem to be in shock to have a natural enviroment with sun/soil/retreat etc.! Gotta love the turts/torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Zanysculptress:

109051s9yr6lye4q.gif

to the forum!

I'm so glad you took in those Russians and are able to get them out of the tank and into a more natural, outdoor setting. Russians like to eat broad-leaf weeds and plants. If there is nothing better to eat, they will eat grass, but prefer the broad-leaf. Where are you located? Russians are very hardy little tortoises and do very well outdoors. I'd love to see some pictures of your new Russian habitat.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! We love photos so when you get a chance, please post their photos. Have you named them yet? Have fun!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Helllloooooo and welcome to this fab forum !!! Great place for you to learn all you need to know about your Russian sidekicks :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
zanysculptress, Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new shelled friends. You know they do like to climb right? :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They also like to dig, and are quite good at it, I would suggest putting some type of plactis barrier by the bricks to discourage digging. I use the plastic garden walls for gardens and they do not dig by there.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome! Glad to hear of the change and look forward to more stories and pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.