Greetings from Albuquerque, New Mexico!

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Glad to join this community :tort: My name is Nancy and I own 1 adult male Russian tortoise, Dimitri, who has lived free range in my backyard for the last 2 years with 2 successful natural hibernations outdoors. I have not been able to determine where exactly he chooses to dig in for hibernation which drives me nuts - haha! My yard has mostly gravel, but several areas of soil around various bushes and trees, as well as a 12x12 tortoise garden area in which I grow all things tortoise-edible (dandelions, lettuce, nasturtiums, mustard, petunias) so he is able to graze freely. I also give him spineless cactus pads, grape leaves, spring mix, green peppers, etc,

3 years ago he had been attacked by a large unknown carnivore and was turned in to the local turtle club I belong to (www.rgttc.info) and nursed back to health by a club member. I adopted him a year later and Dimitri has been thriving!

I also own 2 adult male box turtles who live separately in covered enclosures and also hibernate naturally outdoors. IMG_1233.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0151.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! A new (to you) Forum, and a birthday all on the same day.

Welcome to the Forum, and...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Nancy welcome to the TFO from AZ . I too think it looks to be a Greek tort . Have a great tort day ! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429631417.295912.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Nancy, Dmitri and your the two boxies and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
And a Happy Birthday to you, Nancy.
Dmitri is a lovely old battered hero.
And a greek, or I'm a budgie's cousin.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome! And your birthday, how exciting!
It's awesome he's doing so well!
Hopefully mr Hermani Chris will be along to help you id him, since he does look much more like a greek than a russain!
Congrats on his good health :D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome and Happy Birthday Nancy!! Looks like Dimitri has been living the life with you!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Other species of tortoise, such as the sulcata have spurs, but he's definitely not a sulcata.
Some Russians have spurs, but not quite like this from what I have seen.
I am more sure that this boy is a greek.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have the perfect environment for your tortoise and box turtles. You are very lucky and so are they. Do we get to see the box turtles to?

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Here are the two box turtles and their separate enclosures, each about 7'x4', and each 1/2 covered with Aluminet reflective shade cloth to cool the area below without blocking all light transmission. The cinder block areas are 1/2 filled with soil and have a drip and sprayer system that comes on automatically once daily in the spring/summer/fall (twice when it gets really hot). IMG_8264.JPG IMG_9173crop.jpg IMG_1591.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 7

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Dimitri has 5 toes on each front foot. From what I read, Russians have only 4 toes. I was told he was Russian and never questioned it, but now I'm pretty sure he is Greek. Thank goodness the care requirements are so similar... I am so glad I joined this forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We're glad you joined too!!
He's a greek, and yes, their requirements are pretty much the same.
I knew a Greek restaurant owner called Dimitri,