Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hello. My name is Ron. I live in South Carolina, close to the coast. I do not have a tortoise yet, but am planning on getting a Red foot in a couple months. I have been reading posts on this site for a while and decided i should become a member.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Welcome Ron! I think my red foot loves our humidity on the southeast coast. Do lots of research and enjoy him/her! Are you thinking of getting a baby, juvenile, or adult?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ron, and welcome to the Forum!

RonB

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Beck said:
Welcome Ron! I think my red foot loves our humidity on the southeast coast. Do lots of research and enjoy him/her! Are you thinking of getting a baby, juvenile, or adult?

Well I love the thought of starting from a baby and seeing every step of it's life. But I am not sure if that would be the smartest move for my first tortoise. So I am kinda leaning toward more like a yearling. Does that sound wise? I would love suggestions and pointers. I have been reading alot on them but I get alot of conflicting info not only about care, but just in general how big a yearling is.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
A yearling does sound like a good idea. It gets them through that fragile stage in life. We do see some "hatchling heartbreak" here, when they don't survive, despite some great care.

That being said, I did get a baby for my first tortoise. I've had him/her for a month, and all seems well. Knowing there isn't much room for a learning curve for hatchlings, I did tons of research, set up my enclosure, ran it for several days, and posted it here for critique before I ordered her.

Tortoises all have different growth rates, and there hasn't been enough data-keeping to come up with charts and percentiles yet. Maybe someone can chime in on a range you might see for one.

Otherwise, I'll let ya know in a year :D

dwright27

5 Year Member
Welcome! I'm pretty new, I just brought home a juvenile cherry head 3 weeks ago. He's about 7 months old, and is my first tortoise.
I just found out yesterday that he's got parasites, which SUCKS but I'm sure he'll be fine after treatment and thorough cleaning. Best of luck on your search, I look forward to hearing all about your new addition. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.