Greenhouse

Location (City and/or State)
Stamford, CT, USA
I have a portable green house in my backyard and was thinking about moving my tortoise into it because I have had troubles keeping his enclosure humid in the past. If he was kept in a greenhouse would I still need a UVB bulb?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a portable green house in my backyard and was thinking about moving my tortoise into it because I have had troubles keeping his enclosure humid in the past. If he was kept in a greenhouse would I still need a UVB bulb?
Very sorry I cannot help.

Let's tag some of the experts here.

@Tidgy's Dad @Yvonne G @ZEROPILOT @Tom would you please help with this issue? Thank you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, he would still need a UVB source.
UVB will not penetrate glass or plastic.
I would imagine you would have some problems controlling temperature as well.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Uvb won't go through glass and most if not all plastic. If the greenhouse is placed in a sunny area it will get very/too hot. Be sure there is plenty of was to ventilate. At night depending on your location it could get too cold. If you can control the heat for day and night then it should be fine. Be sure you measure temps at tort height. It will be really hot at your head level, but it won't necessarily be the same at tort height.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Uvb won't go through glass and most if not all plastic. If the greenhouse is placed in a sunny area it will get very/too hot. Be sure there is plenty of was to ventilate. At night depending on your location it could get too cold. If you can control the heat for day and night then it should be fine. Be sure you measure temps at tort height. It will be really hot at your head level, but it won't necessarily be the same at tort height.
Thanks your alert.