Greek tortoise soft plastron

Eighty8

Location (City and/or State)
Hello.

I am a newly tortoise owner and needed some guidance. My greek tortoise is about 2 1/2 months, I've had him for 1 month and have noticed that his plastron is softer than when I got him. If I had to describe it I would say it feels like binding a window blind (if that makes any sense). I have him in a 2x3 open tortoise enclosure with now 2 UVB lights, 1 is a 50W and the other is a 18' 50W T8 Tube Fluorescent Fixture, Also a 100W heat bulb. His basking spot runs between 90-100 degrees and at night it runs between 70-80 degrees. I soak him everyday 10-15 mins or until he defecates. I feed him the Zoo Meds natural grassland tortoise food and leafy greens with calcium sprinkled but I have noticed that he prefers the Zoo Meds Grassland food. His substrate I use is topsoil mixed with a bit of sand.
I have a friend that bought a sulcata tortoise and his shell became soft and died so Im freaking out and want to avoid the same at all costs. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

As you may, or may not know, calcium needs UVB either from the sun or from a GOOD UVB light in order to work its magic inside the tortoise's body. I'm guessing that your 50W is either a coil shaped bulb or not a UVB light. The coil-shaped bulbs aren't much good at providing UVB. The fluorescent UVB bulb should be ok, but I wonder how much UVB it is actually putting out. Soft plastron usually means the calcium isn't working. Do you feed calcium-rich foods? Do you supplement with a small pinch of calcium powder over the food a couple times a week? (either or)

You're right to be concerned.

Can we see pictures of your baby in his habitat?

Eighty8

Hello and thank you

The 50W is actually a coil-shaped bulb. I bought one of those UV card readers that place under the bulb at the distance of the tortoise and its suppose to read the level of UV given from low, moderate and high, mine is reading at moderate. I do supplement with the pinch of calcium powder although I notice he does not like it as much as the Grassland pellets, I do this every other day. I will post pictures of the enclosure tonight. Is there maybe a specific type of leafy greens that I should favor? Thanks for the reply!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kelp, broccoli, collards, kale, turnip greens, arugula, watercress, mustard greens, beet greens, pak choi, okra, cress, endive, butternut squash, sweet potato, to name just a few

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Look forward to seeing pics, and hope to hear your tort is better soon. ;)

Please keep us updated.

Eighty8

This is his enclosure I have him in. He is currently soaking now.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29