Plastron issues in young Greek tortoise

Marthalo

Location (City and/or State)
Key largo
Our baby tortoise plastron is soft and dark in color. We are first timers and worried! Please let me know best action to take. Thank you!!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Dont hold it so close to the camera, it cant focus that close. and the best lighting is indirect natural light.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It looks like it could be sepsis, or blood under the plastron. It looks like a serious problem in any case.

You should research and find an exotics vet.

We have a vet list by state if you need help to find one.
Here is the FL list. There is an exotics vet in Marathon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our baby tortoise plastron is soft and dark in color. We are first timers and worried! Please let me know best action to take. Thank you!!
Are you soaking daily?
Does the tortoise have a basking area the is near 100 degrees for 12 hours a day?
Does the tortoise have an outdoor enclosure where it spends some time?
Is the plastron pliable, or is it soft like a sponge?

zovick

10 Year Member!
He is relatively active and eating although I'm not sure he has pooped in a couple of days.
From what I can see in the picture, the plastron doesn't look bad, just translucent. All hatchlings have fairly soft plastra for a few months after they are born. Gradually it should become less and less translucent and less soft as the tortoise gets older.

I would say that as long as the tortoise is eating and acting normally, you shouldn't need to worry about it.