Greek Tortoise issue

GoodLaura

5 Year Member
Help, I have several Greek Tortoises and one female has just died. I have no idea why other than her neck/head looked swollen and she had some bleeding from her backside... vet here said perhaps egg bound?? He's going to read up more on tortoise's since I have several and he admits he is not "up to speed" with their ailments. Anyone here have any ideas? I live in Ohio, During the summer all my tortoises live outdoors (Greeks, Russians, leopards and one small cherry headed red foot)... it has been very hot this past week (90's) but they have available water to soak,drink, and eliminate in ... I'm scared for the others, only 2 other greeks actually lived in the tortoise run where this one died but it frightens me... any help or suggestions would be helpful!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Make sure you have no toxic plants ( night shade) in your out door area. I'm in ohio too and found some nightshade blooming on my property this week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Johnsonnboswell might be onto something. Mediterranean tortoises are very aggressive breeders. Maybe the males were pestering the female to death. The only way to know why a tortoise died is through necropsy.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Johnsonnboswell might be onto something. Mediterranean tortoises are very aggressive breeders. Maybe the males were pestering the female to death. The only way to know why a tortoise died is through necropsy.
The males are a pretty good guess, that's what I thought after reading his post...

GoodLaura

5 Year Member
Nope...I had 2 females and 1 male in the run .... the second female was added about 3 weeks ago ... could the 2 females have had a problem?

GoodLaura

5 Year Member
Make sure you have no toxic plants ( night shade) in your out door area. I'm in ohio too and found some nightshade blooming on my property this week.
What does nightshade look like? I'm in Cincinnati area... where are you?

GoodLaura

5 Year Member
The males are a pretty good guess, that's what I thought after reading his post...

Do you suggest NOT having the male around the females? Could I put just males together / just females together? I now have 4 males and 4 females of the Greeks (I also have 2 male and 2 female Russians / 1 male and 1 female leopard, and one too young to tell cherry headed red foot)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Do you suggest NOT having the male around the females? Could I put just males together / just females together? I now have 4 males and 4 females of the Greeks (I also have 2 male and 2 female Russians / 1 male and 1 female leopard, and one too young to tell cherry headed red foot)
I suggest housing each tortoise separately after what had happened...

GoodLaura

5 Year Member
Took ALL the tort's out of their outdoor runs this morning, put them in bins to soak while I cleaned and searched all the runs for anything that looked unsafe ..found nothing unusual .... a month ago I saw my dogs chase a black rat snake out of the yard ... my outdoor runs are dog-proof...but maybe not snake proof ????? I didn't see any outside marks on the dead female, vet did Xray..saw eggs inside... he (my vet) is referring me to an exotic vet he knows