Gota new Leo tonite !

Status
Not open for further replies.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am a proud new owner of another Leo. I got this 2.5 yr old from a poster on craigslist that a good friend of mine refered me too. He is about 7 inches long and barely any pyramiding. In perfect health as well. He was feed home grown desert tortoise seed blend plants. Surprisingly he wasnt shy at all after the drive and was very attentive to human interaction right off the bat. So i will definatley post new pics of him tommrow.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Here are the pics ! Yes they are being housed together but keep in mind this tortoise is not sick in any way as the original owner kept extremely good care of this one. I also have a questions. (may sound stupid) Do tortoises know what sex they are? Because i noticed today my first leo was butting the new one and than mounting. So is it safe to say that nibbler is a guy and the new one is a girl ? I know we cant tell till they are like 7 years of age.

Attachments

• new girl.jpg
    new girl.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 65
  • new girl 2.jpg
    new girl 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 46
  • the two side by side.jpg
    the two side by side.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 51

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
She is gorgeous!! Do they know? Hmmm I would guess that they actually know what gender they are, but the behavior can be done by either sex for sexual reasons, dominance, and maybe sometimes just an interaction thing. So no, it does not mean one is male and one is female...sorry.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thats another good point ! Cause when i first introduced them the new walked up to nibbler and bit him on the leg (not hard like my russians did to eachother).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Bear in mind that tortoises are solitary and don't seek out others of their kind unless its breeding season. So Nibbler probably was telling the newcomer to get out of his territory. Now you have to watch closely to be sure the new guy is eating good and gaining weight. More than likely Nibbler will settle down and accept the new tortoise, as long as there are plenty of hiding places and lots of food, so he doesn't think he has to share. My leopard pen was very large and I was able to keep 2 males and 4 females together without any problems. But then I adopted out the males and 2 of the females and made the pen smaller. Right away the larger female started mounting the smaller one an pushing and shoving her around.

Yvonne

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh believe me im bearing that in mind after seeing it. I fed them yesterday and i noticed they both allowed each other to eat so that was good. I added more bermuda grass on each side for more hiding spots too. Its interesting but i have literally witnessed them taking turns picking on eachother of the past couple days but it has slowed down a little bit but if it gets worse or continues i will just seperate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.