Possible herpes virus

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
There is no cure for Herpes. You can only hope the tortoises survive into a latent state. They will always have the virus. Mortality rate is very high. Your options are:
Close your group(pair) and never get any more tortoises.
Completely isolate them and have almost no contact with them except under the strictest biosecurity precautions
Euthanize them, and completely break down their set up and start all over.
It could also be Adenovirus which is just as bad. There is no good outcome unfortunately in this scenario. Antivirals will not rid the virus. Just like people, Herpes is forever.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
There is no cure for Herpes. You can only hope the tortoises survive into a latent state. They will always have the virus. Mortality rate is very high. Your options are:
Completely isolate them and have almost no contact with them except under the strictest biosecurity precautions
It could also be Adenovirus which is just as bad. There is no good outcome unfortunately in this scenario. Antivirals will not rid the virus. Just like people, Herpes is forever.
Is it transmittable to offspring?

Katashia

North TX
This may be an extremely dumb question but I'm new to tortoises and I've seen a lot of people talk about the herpes virus in tortoises but my question is whether or not it's transferrable to humans?
I have no reason to believe that my Sulcata has the virus, I only ask out of curiosity.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
No, it is not transferable to humans. Humans can get it on the skin and thus transmit it from one tortoise to another, but can't catch this form of herpes themselves. So it is essential to always wash your hands after touching an unknown tortoise before you touch your own. And don't let another tortoise owner touch your tortoise without a thorough hand wash.

Katashia

North TX
No, it is not transferable to humans. Humans can get it on the skin and thus transmit it from one tortoise to another, but can't catch this form of herpes themselves. So it is essential to always wash your hands after touching an unknown tortoise before you touch your own. And don't let another tortoise owner touch your tortoise without a thorough hand wash.
Thank you for answering. We always wash our hands before & after handling Morla & I try not to let my youngest touch her just yet but sometimes she does & it's a pure fight to get her hands washed - of course I win every time but wasn't sure if I needed to step up "security". Lol.
We don't have any other pets at this time and am not sure that we will get another tortoise due to all that I've read about grouping and such.

Thank y'all for your responses though!

Borgijo

Ca
The test came back NEGATIVE!!! We still are unsure exactly what it was. Last week my more sickly one Bandit went from mouth breathing & wheezing to a few days later eating. He still hasn't had a bm, but he is eating. I soaked him in baby food carrots & probiotic water all last week. They all 3 will be going back tomorrow for pancur & flagyl. I am just sooo thankful, & excited to get started on their double decker inside enclosure. If I find out any particulars, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Katashia

North TX
The test came back NEGATIVE!!! We still are unsure exactly what it was. Last week my more sickly one Bandit went from mouth breathing & wheezing to a few days later eating. He still hasn't had a bm, but he is eating. I soaked him in baby food carrots & probiotic water all last week. They all 3 will be going back tomorrow for pancur & flagyl. I am just sooo thankful, & excited to get started on their double decker inside enclosure. If I find out any particulars, I'll be sure to pass it along.
That's great to hear Borgijo! Hope Bandit get to feeling better too!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
very good news indeed

Diamond

phoenix,az
So sorry to hear this. Praying that they get well. Thanks for sharing this information. I'm fairly new to torts and it's nice to have this kind of info especially since my baby is a Russian. Hope your babies do well. Hang in there.