Good enrichment ideas?

Sydgeo21

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have a male hermann and he has an indoor enclosure about 10 ft long. I need some enrichment ideas for him for the colder season that’s coming when I can’t take him outside. I try and scatter some food around in different spots but else is good for mental stimulation for them?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Pictures of the enclosure would definitely help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need a large enough enclosure so that when you add enrichment items they don't take up all the space.

You want items big enough so that when he wakes up in the a.m. and looks out his door he can't see his whole world. A big rock in the middle, or maybe a fence halfway across the enclosure that he has to walk around. Get some binder clips and clip a bit of his greens up high so he has to reach up to eat. Occasionally cut a branch with leaves still attached, off an edible tree, like mulberry and lay the branch across his enclosure. Maybe he would be interested in pushing a small colorful ball around.

Sydgeo21

Ohio
There is a part you can’t really see that’s his box, he hardly uses it though only sometimes

Attachments

• FAE487B8-DD0D-4839-825A-A010FA76B8C5.jpeg
    FAE487B8-DD0D-4839-825A-A010FA76B8C5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Add more substrate and bury that water dish so the rim is level with the top of the substrate.
Add some plants. Also whatever part you said he doesn't use much, maybe it needs to be brighter?

Sydgeo21

Ohio
Add more substrate and bury that water dish so the rim is level with the top of the substrate.
Add some plants. Also whatever part you said he doesn't use much, maybe it needs to be brighter?
There’s a couple inches of substrate! He always digs a hole at night to sleep. What plants do you suggest? And should I put them in pots or just in the soil? And his box is darker than the rest I originally made it that way thinking he’d go in there to sleep but he seems to just dig a hole in the corner and sleep

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, the still bury the water dish. If you put the plants in pots, he won't destroy them. You could do a couple in pots and then get one or two you don't mind him destroying. If you have any tortoise safe ones in your yard, take a clipping or so from those. Even if you still have some tort safe weeds, plant them inside or in a pot. You can also get pothos, Boston fern, hostas, hens and chicks succulents, just to name a few. Try to find ones that has been established so there is not newer pesticides in it. If you have to buy them, wash off the soil and repot them.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
My Hermann's has multiple hides available in his indoor and outdoor enclosures. Sometimes he uses them. Sometimes he just sleeps wherever he happens to be at the time. Could be in his water dish, just in the middle of the substrate, or sometimes directly under the basking heat lamp.

Maybe it's just a thing that the Hermann's like to do..

I agree with securing and burying the water dish to make it easier to get in and out, and also with the plants. Plants that your tortoise can nibble on when he's in the mood are the best options.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Hermann's has multiple hides available in his indoor and outdoor enclosures. Sometimes he uses them. Sometimes he just sleeps wherever he happens to be at the time. Could be in his water dish, just in the middle of the substrate, or sometimes directly under the basking heat lamp.

Maybe it's just a thing that the Hermann's like to do..

I agree with securing and burying the water dish to make it easier to get in and out, and also with the plants. Plants that your tortoise can nibble on when he's in the mood are the best options.
I was also thinking extra hides.
Tortoises don't need to be entertained. But they do like to feel safe and they love to take a nap

Reactions: Tom