Getting 2 hingebacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So a lady contacted me the other day about her needing to find a home for her 2 hingebacks, as I have never kept this tortoise before I was interested, but after reading some posts it seems they are a tricky specie to keep, I am still reading but I woud appreciate any info from people who have kept them. I do not have them yet prob 4 or 5 days from getting them, but like I said any info would be appreciated thanks for your time.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
My first thought is that you should check out the thread "What would you want a new keeper to know?". Lots of great info in there.

Would you happen to know what kind they are? Whether they are male or female? How big are they (they'll probably max out at 8 inches long)?

Hingebacks aren't particularly tricky to keep, but you have to pay attention to them. You should check their eyes daily to make sure they're not weeping. Also, I would recommend smelling them on a daily basis until they are settled in. Your tortoise should smell like either their substrate or their most recent meal. If they smell like anything else, something is probably wrong. Also, because they like to live so damp, check for shell rot weekly.

Odds are very good that they are wild caught. Make sure to ask if they have been wormed. If they haven't, take them to a vet as soon as possible. In the mean time there are some squashes out there (butternut, I think) that act as natural dewormers. Assuming they'll eat it (which isn't a very good assumption) that'll keep the parasites at bay for a time.

As far as temperature goes, hingebacks like it warm, but not hot. The minimum temperature they should be in is 70 F and the max is in the high 80s, low 90s F.

In terms of housing, think box turtle or red foot tortoise. They like it humid and private. Outdoor enclosures are best as long as the overnight low never drops below 70F, or you give them a heated hut. For indoor enclosures a tortoise table is always a good way to go, but the hingebacks are one of the few torts that can live in a vivarium. Make sure that the vivarium has enough floor space for them and keep your eyes on them. You may need to install ventilation fans to get good airflow. Just make the fans blow out, not in.

The tortoises need a large, shallow water dish. The dish needs to be big enough so that they can fit their entire bodies in it. I would add electrolytes to the water for a couple months, it helps with stress and hydration.

As for food, their diet is not typical. Mine don't really like grasses or lettuces of any variety. They won't touch spring mix. They do love cucumber, tomato (fruit, no leaves), papaya, mango, and banana. Also, EARTHWORMS! If your torts won't eat anything else, they will eat worms. They're also rumored to eat hard boiled egg and cooked chicken (no spices, don't fry it!). Mine also get RepCal pellets, which I initially hid in cucumber to make sure they got all the nutrients they need.

Other than that, good luck with them! After the initial headaches that come with adopting these guys they become hardy companions.

Oh, and if they happen to be female Home's hingebacks, you decide you don't want to take them, and you live within a reasonable drive from Indiana, let me know. I'd be happy to take them. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
So a lady contacted me the other day about her needing to find a home for her 2 hingebacks, as I have never kept this tortoise before I was interested, but after reading some posts it seems they are a tricky specie to keep, I am still reading but I woud appreciate any info from people who have kept them. I do not have them yet prob 4 or 5 days from getting them, but like I said any info would be appreciated thanks for your time.

First off...Lucky you!! Hingebacks are great little tortoises, just a bit misunderstood. :D What kind are they? Going with the odds and thinking Homes? Has she had them awhile? Answer those questions and I'll give a few thoughts.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
She said they were african hingebacks, I did a quick google sEarch and found that I could not find a species called that, so I can not say what type they are I will post more info when she contacts me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
She said they were african hingebacks, I did a quick google sEarch and found that I could not find a species called that, so I can not say what type they are I will post more info when she contacts me.

Yep, that could apply to all of them.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Just an update, pickup is sat pending still don't know what type of course she just keeps on saying african hingeback so I will post some pics when I do pick them up.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That's so exciting! I had a hingie for about two weeks RIGHT after I got into torts, I don't know if everybody remembers, but there are really old threads on it. I wish I would have known more about them back then...they are such cool little animals. I def want a pair when I have more space.

Can't wait for pics!

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Congrats on the new animals!
One word of caution. Get fecals done ASAP and address the issues accordingly. If they have not been treated before be prepared for a relatively intensive worming process.
Once that is taken care of they are pretty straightforward and usually do well provided they are set up depending upon type.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
This thread might tell you something.. see the 2nd page about treatment especially - http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-10869.html

That link from WCT may be quite alarming.. hopefully yours have been well cared for since importation.

Do you know which sub-species you have?

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.