General question about baby tort enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskan100

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hello All,
My wife and I are interested in raising a couple baby Greek Tortoises. Most people suggest a book cabinet converted to a tortoise table. I planned to build a tortoise table, after the torts get a bit bigger. My reasoning is for this is the more heat and humidity requirements for a baby tort. Smaller the enclosure the easier it will be control the heat and humidity. I am wondering if an enclosure that large in needed for baby tortoises right way. I am looking at an enclosure that is 36"Lx18"Wx16"H. Would that enclosure be large enough for 2 baby greek torts for the first 6-12 months?

Thanks for your help
Tracy

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I dont have greek's but I think that is a good size for 6 month's or so it will be easier to control sounds like a 40 gal breeder tank?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not a greek keeper either, but I agree with your logic.

On another note: I think you'd be better off with either just one or three or more. Pairs can sometimes be problematic.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
With babies you usually want a smaller enclosure, it is easier to maintain humidity.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use 20 gallon long aquariums for all my babies, including my Greek (although she isn't so much of a tiny baby anymore! She will get a bigger aquarium this fall.)

I set them all up exactly the same - I use organic topsoil, and then cover it with a layer of long fiber sphagnum moss (NOT sphagnum peat moss.) I bury a flower pot half in the soil, and then put more dampened moss inside it. Then each aquarium gets a nice big Pothos plant for the babies to bury themselves under (they particularly love that!) I water the substrate every 2-3 days, and mist the babies and their food daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.