General Checkup

Zeekst

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! Scooter is now 6 months… I just wanted to do a quick check up with him :)

Attachments

• IMG_7969.jpeg
    IMG_7969.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7968.jpeg
    IMG_7968.jpeg
    782.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7967.jpeg
    IMG_7967.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7964.jpeg
    IMG_7964.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7965.jpeg
    IMG_7965.jpeg
    937.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7966.jpeg
    IMG_7966.jpeg
    941.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7963.jpeg
    IMG_7963.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking very good. A couple pics looked like very top scutes pyramiding very little but it may be just the pic. If it is it's very slight. Are you using a mercury vapor bulb? If so, they will cause pyramiding in the highest humidity.
Hopefully it's just the pic.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello! Scooter is now 6 months… I just wanted to do a quick check up with him :)
The tortoise looks pretty nice, but I agree with Wellington's assessment. IE, there seems to be a small amount of pyramiding going on, but it is not all that severe yet, and some things can be addressed to prevent its becoming worse.

As she said, if you are using a MVB you should get rid of it. Also make sure that your humidity is high enough and that you are soaking the tortoise for 15-20 minutes DAILY. Are you using a closed chamber to raise this tortoise or not? If not, I would recommend starting to use one to help reduce pyramiding.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also be sure your basking lamp height and wattage are correct. Check the basking temp by laying a digital thermometer on its back at tortoise shell height directly under the basking bulb and letting it cook there for an hour or more. Temperature should be around 95-100. Raise or lower the fixture as needed.

Zeekst

California
Looking very good. A couple pics looked like very top scutes pyramiding very little but it may be just the pic. If it is it's very slight. Are you using a mercury vapor bulb? If so, they will cause pyramiding in the highest humidity.
Hopefully it's just the pic.
i’m not using a mercury lamp i believe, i have an image posted of scooters enclosure somewhere in my account, i make sure to keep his humidity around 60 - 80…