Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
That is so amazing!! Everything looks sooooo good! Don't let Elmo eat too much tomato greens, I only allow Mavis to snag bites here and there. But if Elmo leaves them alone---AWESOME they look so cool in there!!!! The strawberry blows me away! So cool!
Yeah, for once he's leaving them be :p

Prairie Mom

Here's a cool tomato video I just watched. I have up on the welded wire idea and just went to normal tomato cages. This is because I'm such a newbie! Maybe when I get better at gardening.
My parents make the square kind of cages that he showed made out of wood. My parents use metal fencing materials and make the cage HUGE. My tomatoes don't grow that big. It stays pretty cool at night here, so everything is slow growing.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm totally embarrassed, but I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm.:D You're still getting snow this time of year too right?
Nope, 100% serious!
No, our last snowfall was late March, with just a sprinkle. We had a our last hard freeze a couple weeks ago, and now I have all these wildflowers sprouting everywhere I've got to identify! How much snow do you have?

Prairie Mom

Nope, 100% serious!
No, our last snowfall was late March, with just a sprinkle. We had a our last hard freeze a couple weeks ago, and now I have all these wildflowers sprouting everywhere I've got to identify! How much snow do you have?

I took this photo LAST WEDNESDAY. Violas and Spring bulbs are just so stinkin' cold hardy that they can handle it.
web snow viola.jpg
We got another couple inches after I took this photo.

A friend who lives only an hour away from me took this photo on 4/17...
snow wyoming.jpg

This weekend warmed up enough that the snow melted and today will be in the high mid 50's. I plan to let Mavis out a little bit at lunch time to graze to her heart's content and get some sunshine before coming into a very warm long soak.

We get freezes on and off until JUNE. My last frost date is expected to be the 2nd week of June this year. Last year our hard freezes went into into the 3rd week of June and killed all but one of my watermelon.

I honestly thought that Ohio was similar to this!:)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I took this photo LAST WEDNESDAY. Violas and Spring bulbs are just so stinkin' cold hardy that they can handle it.
View attachment 126688
We got another couple inches after I took this photo.

A friend who lives only an hour away from me took this photo on 4/17...
View attachment 126689

This weekend warmed up enough that the snow melted and today will be in the high mid 50's. I plan to let Mavis out a little bit at lunch time to graze to her heart's content and get some sunshine before coming into a very warm long soak.

We get freezes on and off until JUNE. My last frost date is expected to be the 2nd week of June this year. Last year our hard freezes went into into the 3rd week of June and killed all but one of my watermelon.

I honestly thought that Ohio was similar to this!:)
:confused:
It's 53 right now. Wow, I cannot believe you guys are so cold so late! :(!
While our winter season can be pretty nasty, spring warms up very quickly!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well, here are some trilliums to cheer your weather up :D
uik.jpg
The 'grass' is wild lupin, which will bloom soon.
And these random sunflowers sprouting from a pile of birdseed! Hoping to see if they bloom.
jjl.jpg
I feel so bad you guys are still snowy! :( I hope your warm spring comes sooner.

Prairie Mom

Prairie Mom

Well, here are some trilliums to cheer your weather up :D
And these random sunflowers sprouting from a pile of birdseed! Hoping to see if they bloom.
View attachment 126701
Yes...most of those really do look like sunflower seedlings! They may not go to flower if they don't get enough light, but it's definitely worth a try! That would be AMAZING! Also, they can be used as tortoise food too:)

Prairie Mom

Gosh, I couldn't handle the length of time you have snow weather! I'm so thankful we have good see seasons, but not so much that we dint have water
eh...You'd be surprised what you can adjust to in the name of financial security:) On the plus side, I actually really like the cool/chilly summer nights. I feel like my body gets a real re-charge away from the sweat and heat. I also really do love the amount of wildlife around. I've never lived anywhere like this.

QUICKLY RUN the TORTOISE INSIDE, but make all the KIDS COME OUTSIDE AND SEE!!!...
bald eagle2.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sweeeeeeeeeet! You only really read tailed hawks here. And sometimes kites come to fish in the river. I've only seen an eagle here twice.
That is an AWESOME shot!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Has anyone tried to grow grass inside? As I'm planning on removing my strawberry and tomatoes, and soon to clean Elmo's table anyway, I had what I'm hoping would be an awesome idea.
It's tough, he won't eat it, likes shade (I want it in the back, where there isn't a lot of UVB) and is green. And alive :p
Tried it?