Gaia The Spur Thiged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
This is my Little Lady Gaia she is a 2 years Old Spur thiged but im still yet to figure out where in the spur thiged known regions she is from so if anyone can tell that would great ? when i got her she was in bad condition soft shell , very little strength , and a overall lack calcium . so i brought her a good home vivarium which i converted to be more tortoise friendly ( took glass out and made more ventilation holes ) I fitted a 42inch UVB Bulb with a basking lamp at one end and started her on calcium supplements 5 days a week with a multivitamin supplement given on a weekend . Luckily for me she is a real fighter and she would still force her self to get on her legs and find her food . She has a great varied diet from mixed greens to garden weeds and now she is showing great signs of improvement her shell is starting to harden she is fully alert and quite active although she still seems to be a little short of strength but that seems to be improving everyday if anyone can recommend anything else i should do to help the recovery process i would be very grateful .:tort:

Attachments

• 20130113_115154.jpg
    20130113_115154.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I would get her off the pebble substrate. Coconut coir or cypress mulch or plain additive and pesticide free dirt. The pebbles can cause impaction, and then she will have a whole other problem.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Poor thing looks like she has had a rough time. Looks as if you are doing what you can. What substrate are you using? Did you say you are giving daily soaks?

mytortET

5 Year Member
Welcome! You came to the right place... lots of experienced members here on TFO.

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
She gets regular soaks yes and I will change the substrate thank you for that advice . I think ill use a pesticide free soil and a mix of coconut substrate I wanted to put some plants in there anyway . I just hope im doing enough and ive managed to give her what she needs in time for to go on and live a healthy life

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
I brought the substrate from a reptile shop it was a tortoise purpose fill for different species including the spur thighed but if you think its not going to help I'll change it

Status
Not open for further replies.