Freezing flowers??

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
I have a very serious gardener friend (that doesn't use pesticides/ferts) that has offered up lots of hibiscus blooms :) I'm very excited, but can only use a couple per week and she says she has hundreds now :eek:

My question is: Can I get a bunch of hibiscus flowers from her and freeze them for later use or would this be killing the flowers goodness and nutrition? o_O

Thanks for reading this ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I doubt they would freeze well. Take one and try it. However, you can take them and hang them upside down and dry them. If nothing else, after dry, you could crumble them over the other foods. Unless you have a dehydrator, that might also work for drying them.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hmm, yes, greens (like flowers) get super soggy when they defrost... and then they are very unappealing! Tried it for the winter, and they got really gross :confused:
I'd like to have 100 flowers! :D H0w many plants does she have? Gotta be bunch to produce that many!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
As mentioned, instead of freezing, I wonder how dehydrating the hibiscus flowers would work out. You could totally dry them pack in freezer bags and store, maybe even freeze. Then in Winter time, you pull out a few and gently mist to slightly rehydrate the petals without making "Mush." It might work out.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
As mentioned, instead of freezing, I wonder how dehydrating the hibiscus flowers would work out. You could totally dry them pack in freezer bags and store, maybe even freeze. Then in Winter time, you pull out a few and gently mist to slightly rehydrate the petals without making "Mush." It might work out.
I agree. But I have no knowledge on dehydrating, haha :)