Franklin the Tortoise

noraboe

Location (City and/or State)
mesa, az
Hi guys,

First post. I've had a baby sulcata, Franklin, for about 3 years & he's still pretty small but is growing. I just moved him outside on our patio into a tortoise box (which I know a lot of people on here dislike, but it is better than the small aquarium he was outgrowing inside). I can already tell he enjoys it more. I live in Mesa, AZ so it's pretty warm but since it's still beginning of summer I feel like it may be too cold at night for him, thoughts? What kind of heat source would you recommend for a wood box, I could attach the heat lamp I have to the wire on the lid?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Nora

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you are looking for night time heat. A ceramic heat emitter would do well

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Can we see his outside home? Tortoises just do so much better, when spending time outside.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi guys,

First post. I've had a baby sulcata, Franklin, for about 3 years & he's still pretty small but is growing. I just moved him outside on our patio into a tortoise box (which I know a lot of people on here dislike, but it is better than the small aquarium he was outgrowing inside). I can already tell he enjoys it more. I live in Mesa, AZ so it's pretty warm but since it's still beginning of summer I feel like it may be too cold at night for him, thoughts? What kind of heat source would you recommend for a wood box, I could attach the heat lamp I have to the wire on the lid?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Nora
I built a insulated plywood box for my sully. He is about 10" long. The box is 2'x2'x2' and I put a 18"×18" Kane mat on a thermostat inside. The box is kept on the screened in patio. It is just temporary but it works. Don't buy the thermostat from Kane they charge to much. Here is one of mine that I use. 20190508_134651.jpg 20190508_140242.jpg