Frame-It-All Indoor greenhouse for red foot

Marci_redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
My new indoor greenhouse is now set up and I just wanted to share some pictures of Marci's new home! She loves it and I'm having a blast planting and decorating... I wish there was a way for me to grow dandelions and clover indoors. That would be ideal. Has anyone had any success with this?

The humidity level is absolutely perfect for a red foot (and my tropical plants.) Hovering between 90-99% throughout the day. It's 8 ft x 4 ft and I've planted it with tons of safe foliage which she has nibbled on a bit. I have mainly a coco coir substrate, but would like to add at least an inch of cypress mulch and some moss around her soaking dishes. The water in her bowl pictured below was clear 5 minutes prior, 1 soak is all that it took to make it black. I still need to get a CHE to bring the newer enclosure up to temp... thinking that at least 100 watts will be needed.

2014-11-02 01.48.24.jpg 2014-11-02 01.48.30.jpg 2014-11-02 01.48.41.jpg 2014-11-02 01.49.42.jpg 2014-11-02 01.50.15.jpg 2014-11-02 01.49.29.jpg 2014-11-02 01.51.01.jpg

2014-11-02 01.51.01.jpg 2014-11-02 01.48.24.jpg 2014-11-02 01.48.30.jpg 2014-11-02 01.48.41.jpg 2014-11-02 01.49.42.jpg 2014-11-02 01.50.15.jpg 2014-11-02 01.49.29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you added some dirt, you would have some good stuff to grow those dandelions in. Glad it's working out for you. Not sure what the temps should be for a RF, but 72 seems a little low. Humid and cold makes a sick tort, so just double check on those temps.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Very nie enclosure! I agree with Barbara. 72, especially 72 and wet is a bit cool.
Mine t end to hang out in the area of their enclosure that is 85-95 and humid.
Your tortoise is beautiful!!

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
If you added some dirt, you would have some good stuff to grow those dandelions in. Glad it's working out for you. Not sure what the temps should be for a RF, but 72 seems a little low. Humid and cold makes a sick tort, so just double check on those temps.

Yes, I totally agree. I've already ordered a CHE and requested expedited shipping. Her prior habitat was much smaller and the heat sources that I have are not sufficient for this larger enclosure. Thanks for the dandelion tip!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Get the temperature to 90 F too. You will have a very happy RF.

I like it!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I like it a lot. Mine always trample stuff I try to plant in the enclosure. Really like the looks of this. Good job.

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
I like it a lot. Mine always trample stuff I try to plant in the enclosure. Really like the looks of this. Good job.

I really hope that she doesn't trample or uproot the plants. I tried to choose mostly plants that are way bigger than she is. I've noticed that she likes to hide under the taller bushes and hasn't walked over the shorter ones yet. As long as she's having fun I don't mind re-planting. She's just got to be herself!

Alaskamike

South Florida
There is a way to grow plants in the enclosure without trampling. You can put the plant ( like dandelion) in a pot and put it in there. Or you can make a wooden box , like a long one along one side , fill with dirt and grow multiple stuff in there. As it gets big enough just clip off leaves and feed.

I think with the UV lights you can get anything to grow :)

Nice job. Wish more torts had such a great environment

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Hi! Can you post the link to the bed you used? I found some nice 4x4 ones but I would like a 4x8!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Looks great! I just started mine. I'm waiting for my husband to help me make a plastic cover similar to yours. Great job!

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Looks wonderful. My sparky just knocks pots and plants down and tramples them!! She makes quite a mess!!

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frame-It...ed-Kit-with-2-Greenhouses-300001092/205581093

Here's the link.

I bought it online while Home Depot was having a massive sale. I got the greenhouse & raised garden bed for around $180. I also got a 4ft x 8ft 23/32 inch piece of plywood sheathing and a 9ft by 12 ft non-toxic plastic drop cloth to build a base. I put the board down first and built the raised bed around it before draping the drop cloth over the plywood and garden bed sides. I tucked the edges of the drop cloth under the garden bed walls (they're sturdy but can easily be lifted up for tucking purposes.) Then I just poured in the layers of substrate and planted. I made a nice big mound in the center, because my redfoot loves to climb. I used to have issues with Marci flipping herself over onto her back in her old 4x4 habitat. She hasn't flipped even once since I put her into her new home, so I think she's pretty happy with it. She's managed to eat two full sized geranium plants and an African violet, but all the other plants remain untrampled and uneaten (delicious!)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Whew! Thanks for the link! I ended up buying a 4x4 one...this will have to be on my tortoise's Christmas list for next year! :p

You did a wonderful job! Such a great space for your tort!

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
The great thing about these greenhouses is that the 4x4 enclosures can be put together to expand the space. Thanks! I'm still trying to get the heating perfected... But I'm getting there. I have one side consistantly at 89 degrees with the help of a coop warmer and che. I just need to tweak the temp upwards a bit.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Take lots of "before" photos of the plants.:D Even my baby RF is a friggin' Bulldozer! Nice looking set-up. I keep my humidity between 80-100% and my temps between 78-90.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Really nice job on your enclosure - nice size, coupled with all the plants! Can you trim those dangling straps ? Are they used to roll up the plastic side flaps? Be careful so they don't accidentally drape on a lamp or CHE. More pix!!

Marci_redfoot

Kansas City
There is no divider. The 8 x 4 setup is basically 2 4 x 4 greenhouses that you lock together at the base and zip together with the middle wall removed. The greenhouse does a great job keeping in humidity, but insulation is a bit of an issue. The temp doesn't vary as long as I keep the heater on. I do this in 12 hour cycles. At night it drops to the ambient temp of my apartment (75). The straps could probably be trimmed. I use them to tie back the side flaps when Im cleaning the substrate. You could probably trim them and just flip the door flap over the A-frame top. I'm careful to keep them away from the lamps, the frame poles make great scaffolding to mount lights and heaters on, and they tend to be far away from the straps. The greenhouse is huge. I'm 5'6" and I can crawl around inside without any issues. I'm going to buy a few more plants and replace the eaten ones. I'll post more pics. :)