Found Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

holly91

5 Year Member
I found this guy in my backyard yesterday while hunting down a ball I had thrown for my dogs! I thought he was "just a turtle" but after doing some research and talking to someone at a local bird/reptile store I found out he's a Tortoise! I've been researching care for these guys and had no idea it was so involved. I would love to take proper care of him while I figure out what to do with him. The idea of keeping him is exciting but after reading even just a little info on care for these creatures I'm worried I may not be the best fit. I guess my first questions is what kind of tortoise is he (or she???). I noticed diets differs between species and again I want to make sure while I have this guy he gets the care he needs. Help!

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 52

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! You have found a Russian tortoise. What all are you doing to try to locate his owner, who is most likely beside themselves with worry over his being missing?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
He's a russian that appears to have been in captivity for quite some time. I think before you look too far into their care, you need to post flyers, craigslist ads, etc. to find this little guy's proper home before you decide to keep him/her.

Russians are escape artists so there is probably someone not far from you missing their tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its a Russian. Check with your neighbors and place a few generic signs. If no one claims, then its yours!
Or you can find a home for it...
if you post more pictures we can tell you if its male or female.. take a belly pic and tail area.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For his diet while your finding his owners, go with greens, especially weeds if you don't use yard chemicals or give your dogs ivermectin products you can use ones from your own yard. Things like dandelions, plantain, clover, grape leaves and mulberry leaves. Do you have any hibiscus or rose of Sharon (althea) bushes? No fruits for this guy. Warning they can climb what looks to be an impossible item and escape easily. He's going to need something big enough he can be soaked, with warm water just up to where his two shells meet.

holly91

5 Year Member
Oh my gosh guys...thank you!!! I wasn't sure if it was possible that he escaped or if someone just dumped him. I wasn't certain on whether I should be posting signs and if crazies would reply. Again, I just want to keep this guy safe. I will start making signs right now. And if not on a brick in water...where should I keep him? I certainly don't want my dogs to get him in the yard!

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
holly91 said:
I found this guy in my backyard yesterday while hunting down a ball I had thrown for my dogs! I thought he was "just a turtle" but after doing some research and talking to someone at a local bird/reptile store I found out he's a Tortoise! I've been researching care for these guys and had no idea it was so involved. I would love to take proper care of him while I figure out what to do with him. The idea of keeping him is exciting but after reading even just a little info on care for these creatures I'm worried I may not be the best fit. I guess my first questions is what kind of tortoise is he (or she???). I noticed diets differs between species and again I want to make sure while I have this guy he gets the care he needs. Help!

YOU WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO LIVE IN PENSACOLA WOULD YOU??? I know someone who is desperately looking for her Russian Tortoise.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Since hopefully you wont have him for long, do you have a plastic tote box or even a tall cardboard box would work temporarily. BE sure to not give all the information on the "Found" flyers. You want to be sure the person who lost the animal can ID him, but others can't just pretend it's there animal. Like perhaps just say, "Found Tortoise". Then they have to tell you what species it is. Don't show the picture either.

TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
YOU WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO LIVE IN PENSACOLA WOULD YOU??? I know someone who is desperately looking for her Russian Tortoise.

and one in Germanstown, TN

holly91

5 Year Member
No...I live in Michigan! As for the signs I kept it very basic, "Found Tortoise" with my number. I've started asking the neighbors too. I have him in a large tote type thing with some collard greens and a shallow dish of water. Now if he would just relax and stop trying to climb out:( I've also contacted a local rescue and am hoping to transfer him to them while trying to locate the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.