Found tortoise in my backyard. Advice

Jeanskirt

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi. I'm new here. My name is Tiana. I found this small tortoise in my backyard. We live in Bakersfield, California. I did a Google image search and the closest thing I found is a Russian tortoise. I'm not sure if this little guy (or girl) is an adult or a baby. I actually captured it once, and had it in a an 8'x4' enclosure in my garden, but it got out and I thought it just ran away. Then today, there it was right by my front porch just sitting there. Lol. We have a HUGE piece of property, with a lot of open acreage in the backyard (where it first was enclosed), so for it to make it all the way to the front door was quite a feat, in my opinion.
If anyone can tell me for certain what kind of tortoise it is, I'd be very grateful. I just want to give it the best care possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20220504_131558.jpg
    20220504_131558.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220504_131647.jpg
    20220504_131647.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220507_145504.jpg
    20220507_145504.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you tried to find his owner? They are great escape artists and can travel long distances.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes, it looks Russoan to me too. And a beautiful Russian at that! I love the design on the carapace. If you'll get a picture of the underside, the plastron, we can maybe tell you the gender. Make sure the tail area is in focus.

Here is the care sheet for Russians. It's full of info re' care, housing, feeding, etc.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!

Jeanskirt

California
Have you tried to find his owner? They are great escape artists and can travel long distances. Thought

Though I doubt that this tortoise had an owner, unless they intentionally abandoned it, I did post an alert on my Nextdoor app and no one responded. Our house is situated on two acres of property, and we don't have any neighbors. Behind our property is a drainage ditch, the lot to our left is an abandoned open area, and to the right is a Walgreens with a huge parking lot. Our closest neighbors are an apartment complex across a VERY busy street/intersection, so I doubt this little guy could have gotten across without being hit by a car. I was seriously considering just letting it go, but there are so many (big) feral dogs in this area, I'm afraid he will get killed.

Jeanskirt

California
Yes, it looks Russoan to me too. And a beautiful Russian at that! I love the design on the carapace. If you'll get a picture of the underside, the plastron, we can maybe tell you the gender. Make sure the tail area is in focus.

Here is the care sheet for Russians. It's full of info re' care, housing, feeding, etc.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a Russian adult and likely escaped even though you think not possible it sure is.
Do not just let it go, it's not native and that's the wrong thing to do.
Contact local vets, look on craigslist and even any local animal rescues to see if anyone has lost one.
If not one claims it after an effort to find the owner then either keep it and house and care for it properly or rehome him but do not just let him go.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi. I'm new here. My name is Tiana. I found this small tortoise in my backyard. We live in Bakersfield, California. I did a Google image search and the closest thing I found is a Russian tortoise. I'm not sure if this little guy (or girl) is an adult or a baby. I actually captured it once, and had it in a an 8'x4' enclosure in my garden, but it got out and I thought it just ran away. Then today, there it was right by my front porch just sitting there. Lol. We have a HUGE piece of property, with a lot of open acreage in the backyard (where it first was enclosed), so for it to make it all the way to the front door was quite a feat, in my opinion.
If anyone can tell me for certain what kind of tortoise it is, I'd be very grateful. I just want to give it the best care possible. Thanks in advance for your help.
That’s a really cool looking russian tortoise. Looks like flames on his/her back. Perfect circle he /she is too lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are escape artists and they can travel miles. Keep him securely contained for his own safety.

That care sheet that Karen linked for you should have all the care info you need, but feel free to ask questions.

Dcatalano

Colorado
Welcome to the forum! I wish tortoises would just show up at my house like that! 😂
An outdoor enclosure is a great start but make sure he can’t climb over or dig out. As mentioned, they are escape artists and can travel far.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Russian tortoise are known as escape artists. This has managed to escape from a neighbour who is probably searching high and low. Please can you contact neighbours and maybe use Facebook and advise local vet to see if you can reunite.

Jeanskirt

California
I posted a notice on Facebook and also on the Nextdoor app. I'll give it about 2 weeks, and if no one responds after that, I'll go ahead and keep it. For now, I have it in a temporary enclosure on my porch. I know this space isn't big enough for a permanent home, but it's going to cost a couple hundred dollars for the materials to build a proper home for it, so I don't want to invest that right now just in case someone claims it. We'll see how it goes! 20220509_110202.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I posted a notice on Facebook and also on the Nextdoor app. I'll give it about 2 weeks, and if no one responds after that, I'll go ahead and keep it. For now, I have it in a temporary enclosure on my porch. I know this space isn't big enough for a permanent home, but it's going to cost a couple hundred dollars for the materials to build a proper home for it, so I don't want to invest that right now just in case someone claims it. We'll see how it goes! View attachment 344472
What are the orange like discs you are feeding him/her?

Jeanskirt

California
Sliced Carrots. Should I not be doing that?
I read from someone in here that I shouldn't feed it grocery store food, So since I have a garden, I've just been giving it food that I grow. Carrots, Lettuce, grape leaves, basil leaves, and some Cilantro

I have also placed a little tray for "watering" itself. Should I have not Sliced it? It seems like it is not interested in it at all, but it ate all the grape leaves and lettuces that I provided

Dcatalano

Colorado
Greens and leaves, weeds like dandelion (as long as they’re safe from chemicals) will be ok. Other things, in moderation. I downloaded an app called tortoise table to see which plants in my yard are safe. Currently the lilac leaves are in the mix for my tort.