Found Tortoise in SoAZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfish42

5 Year Member
My husband found a tortoise in the middle of a five-way in the middle of our town a couple days ago. I'm pretty sure he's a desert tortoise, but I don't know how to tell for sure. The poor guy is a little rough, but friendly and obviously a pet. I've been watching the local papers and craigslist for any mention, nothing so far. I'm not sure how to move forward with this, I believe desert tortoises are protected here. Any advice?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! First how about a couple of pictures so we can be sure what species we are dealing with?

snowfish42

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! First how about a couple of pictures so we can be sure what species we are dealing with?

I've blurred some identifying man-made markings. It would break my heart for this guy to end up in the wrong hands.

Attachments

• p_00154bsm.jpg
    p_00154bsm.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 159

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Due to the bumpy shell I would say it is either one born into captivity, or a long term captive.

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
Hi, I'm new but I've reciently lost a tortoise. If you could please send me a picture of this tortoise I might be able to help cause it might actually be mine.

snowfish42

5 Year Member
Ashleigh B said:
Hi, I'm new but I've reciently lost a tortoise. If you could please send me a picture of this tortoise I might be able to help cause it might actually be mine.

I posted a picture above.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Snowfish42. Yes, its a desert tortoise.

snowfish42

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Due to the bumpy shell I would say it is either one born into captivity, or a long term captive.
Wow, I didn't know you could tell by that. What makes that happen to their shells in captivity?

emysemys said:
Welcome, Snowfish42. Yes, its a desert tortoise.
Good to know, thank you!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
snowfish42 said:
dmmj said:
Wow, I didn't know you could tell by that. What makes that happen to their shells in captivity?
wild ones don't have the bumpy shells, one raised in captivity, they often get pyramided from low humidity.

snowfish42

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
snowfish42 said:
dmmj said:
wild ones don't have the bumpy shells, one raised in captivity, they often get pyramided from low humidity.

Low humidity? Interesting. I would have guessed it had something to do with diet or something, as there isn't much humidity in their natural habitat anyway (the desert). Do you know the chemical process behind this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah...another disbeliever from the "show me" state! :p

Wild tortoises spend the majority of their day hiding inside their burrow, which goes deep underground. The moisture contend underground is higher than above ground and to add to it, the tortoise poops and pees down in there.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, they burrow in nature, and the humidity is much higher in their burrows than at the surface. Additionally, they usually won't come out in the high heat of the day when humidity is at it's lowest, but only at the cooler times.

Pyramiding isn't only cause by humidity/hydration, diet plays a role, as do a lot of other things. It's a great mystery of tortoise keeping.

snowfish42

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Ah...another disbeliever from the "show me" state! :p

Wild tortoises spend the majority of their day hiding inside their burrow, which goes deep underground. The moisture contend underground is higher than above ground and to add to it, the tortoise poops and pees down in there.

lol! Ok, ok, but I'm still interested in the chemical process. Tortoises are much more intriguing than I previously thought. :)

I've had an escape attempt today! Caught him (finally looked and it is indeed a "him", according to guides on the internets anyway), gave him some prickly pear fruit, and fixed the fence. He's a tenacious little thing. :tort:

NudistApple said:
Well, they burrow in nature, and the humidity is much higher in their burrows than at the surface. Additionally, they usually won't come out in the high heat of the day when humidity is at it's lowest, but only at the cooler times.

Pyramiding isn't only cause by humidity/hydration, diet plays a role, as do a lot of other things. It's a great mystery of tortoise keeping.

Mystery indeed. Thanks for the reply! :)

conservation

10 Year Member!
Is that broken glass next to your new tort? I know mind try and sample all kinds of new things in their enclosures. Any nails, glass etc could end up as a snack. Good luck with finding it a home!

snowfish42

5 Year Member
Pets101 said:
Is that broken glass next to your new tort? I know mind try and sample all kinds of new things in their enclosures. Any nails, glass etc could end up as a snack. Good luck with finding it a home!

Plastic. Broken solar light, and much too big for sampling. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm looking at a small screen with a terrible glare, but that looks like a Texas tortoise to me. The Texas tortoise is a different species, but in the same Genus as the desert tortoise. It could also be called a "desert" tortoise and they tend to pyramid more than desert tortoises too.

Status
Not open for further replies.