Found Tortoise in Medford, OR

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I don't know the species, but it is some type of box turtle. If its native to your area and If its possible to let it go safely back into the wild close to where you found it, that is what would really be best for it. Wild, should really be left in the wild. If its not native to your area, it may be someone's lost pet. Check out CL and nearby animal shelters or vet clinics to see if someone has lost it. They can be great escape artist. If all else fails, enjoy your new pet, that someone else can help you with for housing and food.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Give it a soak as soon as you can in shallow warm water. Then put it in a box lined with a garbage bag and some garden soil and leaves, and a water dish. It can eat mixed salad greens, weeds, worms, some fruits. It may be too scared to eat,but do soak it and give it access to water as it is probably dehydrated.
It is not native to your area, so it is either someone's escaped pet, or worse, someone 'set it free' :(.

Nice of you to try to help it out!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Not native. Pet. Check Craigslist lost and found or the pet listings. I'm up here outside Salem, if its been as hot down there as here,(likely hotter) I would imagine he escaped from someone letting it get some sunshine.

Is that your ad I just read on CL for found turtle?

LeoCraze

5 Year Member
With the scar and wear on the carapace, it appears to me that the tort has been living in the "wild" for a while now, unlike a recent captive escapee, unless it was wild caught and brought to Medford recently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cindi, and welcome to the Forum!

Since box turtles aren't native to Oregon, it is someone's escaped pet. If it were my escaped pet I would be beside myself with worry about him. Please put up notices on the utility poles in the neighborhood where your son found the turtle. Make the notice big enough that cars driving by can read them easily. "Found" ads are usually free in the local newspaper. Place an ad.

I hope you are able to find this turtle's owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.