Found this guy. Need help!

Jess Wren

Hello,
My sister found this guy cruising down her street. She brought him into her home because she lives on a busy intersection and didn't want him to get run over or hurt. She has posted up signs and put an ad on Craigslist for him and no one has come forward. Can anyone help as to what kind of tortoise he is? We just want to give the poor guy what he needs.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forums! this is a russian tortoise. these tortoises are weed eating most of there diet should be nontoxic weeds like dandelions and mallow. keep him water and make sure he has access to water at all times a shallow plant saucer is the best to use. put them dirt in the tub you are using to keep him in, about 5 inches. if you decide to keep him, he needs a beak trimming.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Check out the Russian tortoise section under the species specific heading. It will give you all the information you need. But feel free to ask questions too. We love pictures around here so once you get an enclosure set up send along some photos.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and welcome to tortoise forum.
It might be worth posting on the Lost and Found Forum on this site as well, in case anyone is looking for him.
Try to soak him in a little warm, shallow water to a level just above where his upper shell (carapace) joins his plastron (lower shell).
He is quite possibly dehydrated after being out there on the street.
As mentioned, broad leafed weeds are best. (non- toxic ones).

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
It looks like a long forgotten pet that was turned loose or escaped. If you are unsure of what to feed him, you can buy spring salad mix from a store. His beak is way over grown and will need a trim to help him eat better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jess, and welcome to the Forum!

That Russian tortoise looks like he's been in captivity for a very long time. I'll bet someone is desolate at having lost him. Put up fliers on the utility poles in your sister's neighborhood and have her go door-to-door to try to locate his owner.

In the meantime, we have a good care sheet pinned at the top of the Russian tortoise section here on the Forum for you to read.

His beak needs trimming, so if you decide to keep him, a vet visit is in order.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That poor little thing seems to be in need of real care.

And a warm welcome to the :tort: forum!

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I think you might have been meant to find him. Wherever he was, there are signs that he was kinda neglected. That beak needs attention. Good luck and this forum is a great place to learn everything you need to know.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum. I think you are getting all the help you need. Best wishes to you and this little guy.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Jess one of the things I did when my Lola was found to try to find his owner was to contact all local vets to see if they knew of any tortoise keepers in the area, but as you're here looking for help I think it must be in safe hands. Good luck

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello,
My sister found this guy cruising down her street. She brought him into her home because she lives on a busy intersection and didn't want him to get run over or hurt. She has posted up signs and put an ad on Craigslist for him and no one has come forward. Can anyone help as to what kind of tortoise he is? We just want to give the poor guy what he needs.

View attachment 125744

http://www.ecohealthypets.com/writable/pet_report_photos/photo/480x/russian_tortoise_2.jpg

This is ideally what the species of tortoise should best resemble.....good you came across the tortoise....:)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That tort is hurting for some tlc

Good luck and welcome to the forum