Sick Russian from CL

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
So I was on craigslist (which I know better than doing!) and came across this ad for this poor tortoise. Seeing her puffy, closed eyes bothered me all day so I finally offered $40 for her. The guy wanted $50 - so I broke down, drove 20 or so miles, and gave him the money because I couldn't stand to see this poor sick baby suffer. Now I have her home and she is in bad shape. Not only are her eyes closed and puffy, her whole body is puffy (edema.) I have her soaking and will warm her up and start her on antibiotics right away, but I really don't know what to do about the edema. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (On a side note - I hate some people. It's so obvious this tortoise has been sick for a while and shame on this person for not getting her the help she needed!)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/4793394005.html

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Okay - so after looking her over and checking some of my books, I suspect she may have an active case of the Herpes Virus. I cleaned a lot of goop out of her eyes and her mouth color is pale. I will get her to the vet tomorrow to make sure, of course, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Last edited:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Okay - so after looking her over and checking some of my books, I suspect she has an active case of the Herpes Virus. I cleaned a lot of goop out of her eyes and her mouth color is pale. I will get her to the vet tomorrow to make sure, of course, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for me?
tortoises can get herpes lol i guess we learn a new thing everyday!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
If it is herpes, then you need to keep it separate from any other tortoises or turtles.

I believe it is possible to keep herpes positive tortoises together as long as they carry the same strain. I might be wrong though.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Well, I was wrong - not Herpes after all - just a very sick tortoise with probably a bacterial infection. She is no better today, but I hopefully my next update will bring good news.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Glad it wasn't herpes- a lot harder to treat than a bacterial infection.
Sounds like she needs some serious hydration. Will you start the carrot or (unsweetened) canned pumpkin soaks? Maybe add a squirt or two of bird vitamins to the soaks? Perhaps even twice per day for a week or so.

Can't even stand looking at the pics. What a jerk that guy was, what goes around, comes around, we can only hope.

Thank you.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Any update? How is she now?

Thank you for asking. She is not good. :( I have her on Fortaz and Gentamycin for her eyes. I soak her daily and she drank quite a bit last night - so maybe that's a good sign. She is so swollen that she can't move her back legs. I will take some pics so you can see just how awful she looks.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Here are some sad pictures of her.

Attachments

• Sick Russian 1.JPG
    Sick Russian 1.JPG
    487 KB · Views: 53
  • Sick Russian 2.JPG
    Sick Russian 2.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 48
  • Sick Russian 3.JPG
    Sick Russian 3.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 46

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
What did the vet say about the edema? Was a blood test done? Sometimes kidney problems also cause eye problems as well as edemas.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
What did the vet say about the edema? Was a blood test done? Sometimes kidney problems also cause eye problems as well as edemas.

We are treating it as a bacterial infection right now, but if she doesn't improve will definitely do the blood test. Yes, my vet did say it could be renal issues, but we decided to try antibiotics first. We also talked about Lasix (not sure if I spelled that right) but it can be dehydrating and since she can't move at all we were worried about that (in terms of regulating her heat and possibly overheating.) If improvement isn't seen then I will probably start that too.