Found Russian Tort- Rescued

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacefultimes

5 Year Member
Found Russian Tort_Franklin_ in yard this summer, so we took him in! Looks like he had a tough life, his front left leg only has two toes, and he has no eyes. I know, but his right eye is just skin (no socket, etc.), right eye is barely visible and gets watery when out in the sun. Don't think he can see at all, but he responds to my goofy voice (pops head up high and yawns a lot). Most feeding by hand- the usual greens, cuttle, water, etc.- eats a pile when placed in front of him. Any ideas on what I can do for this rescue? Not sure his age, but he is about 7", seems healthy otherwise. Starting not to each much, assuming hibernation? Any suggestions from experienced owners would be great. Pic to follow. Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D We LOVE PICS :p

Awesome that you two ran into one another :D Do all of his wounds/damage appear to be healed over? It is sad about the vision thing...however, if you are a patient person and committed to hand feeding to make sure he eats enough...then he will be fine in that regard.

If he was wild then he likely has that internal clock thing ticking away and would likely already be or ready to hibernate/tuck in for the cool time of year....

How do you house him? What type of heat/uv lights do you have for him?
:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would assume he didnt come from far away.. did you ever check with neighbors?
if you think he is healthy enough, he can hibernate, or bring him in, give plenty of warmth and light, and he will stay awake.
sounds like that might be a better option.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Welcome to the forum! You did a really nice thing helping out that tort! Sounds like you guys are really bonding! Good luck! :):)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

Is it possible to post pictures of your little guy and his injuries? That would help us give you some suggestions on how to make him as comfortable as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi peacefultimes:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

We have some experience with blind turtles and tortoises here on the forum. It happens more often than we'd like.

If you place a nice big pile of food on a piece of slate or tile, but push the food over up against a wall, this helps it to stay in place as he bites at it.

You might buy a sample of Mazuri Tortoise Diet from one of our members (coastal, spikethebest, there's another, but I can't pull up his username, darn it!) just a sample, to try and see if he'll eat it. Reason I suggest this is because it has a strong smell and being blind, he's eating by smell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here are a couple more members who sell Mazuri:

usernames:

AZ tortoise compound
John
TylerStewart
fel1958
coastal
spikethebest

I'm sorry if I missed anyone. The memory cards ain't what they used to be.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would not allow him to hibernate this year. Keep his lights on for 14 hours a day and keep his temp over 75 degrees. I would put Terramyacin eye ointment in his eyes 3 times a day. If there is any irritation then that would take care of it. It sounds like he will eat on his own? If that's right then it will help him if you place a large pile in front of the wall, so when he pushes on the pile to bite, it doesn't move much. It actually is easier to care for them then you think. But right now he needs a hot light on for 14 hrs. Have you soaked him at all? you might do that and put some carrots in the water. Baby food, and that will add vitamin A. If he's slowing down he's probably too cold, so warm him up. You didn't mention his left eye? Please continue to ask any questions you have and it will help US help YOU, if you describe how you are keeping him. For instance, don't use a coil light. Altho it might not matter in his case, it blinds them. Anyhow I hope I have helped you... Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.