fostering and or adopting...humans this time :)

Prairie Mom

So, I've been thinking a bit about your question on how to help them adjust. I don't meant to take up so much room on your thread. I 'm kind of a fast typer and have been known to accidentally leave novels. Please forgive me if you feel I'm writing too much about the subject.

If you don't mind, I'd like to share some thoughts I have about the adjustment that's been on your mind. It's hard to give specific advice not knowing what age range you are looking into, but I do have three--no, four-- bits of advice that would have been helpful for me to understand, so I'll post them in hopes that it may be of use to you, now later, or even to someone else who comes across this...

-First, if you are not completely certain about what age range you plan to adopt in, BECOME CERTAIN. Take a break from looking at all the children in need and really focus on what you think would be best for your family. Then, once you think you have an idea, do everything you can to learn about the experiences of other adoptive parents who have adopted within that age range.

-I heard a famous psychologist say this once and he was dead right!...Change the name of your process from "Adoption" to "LEGALIZED KIDNAPPING." Then, and only then, will Parents begin to understand how your adopted child feels. Even newborn babies understand when they have been removed from their birthmother. They have cortisol flooded systems and if their emotional needs have ever gone unmet they can develop serious bonding and attachment issues which could potentially affect them for life. I would also add to this that your child will not be Grateful that you adopted them, at least not yet:) Which leads me to my next tidbit...

-Every adopted child is a traumatized child. Again whether they are an infant or nearly an adult. Trauma can come from one single event or be caused by extreme stress over a period of time. Losing everything you've ever known and being put with strangers is stressful! Not to mention many of these kids have actually experienced truly neglectful and traumatic events in their young lives. Many children feel as if they've had no control over their lives and will often use extreme and harmful measures to feel like they are controlling their surroundings. Continue you're awesome research and put a huge emphasis on how PTSD manifests in children. I would also strongly advise you or anyone else to put together a list of resources like babysitters for when you need a break and *research good adoption therapists in your area. A good therapist is truly a gift!

-Finally, remember "If it's good for the parents, it's good for the child." I guarantee you that your marriage is about to be tried in ways you would not have predicted. Keep nurturing your marriage especially when you feel crabby and things aren't going as you wish they would have.
--------
Alright, sorry for the novella. I really do wish you every success and happiness in the world!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
So, I've been thinking a bit about your question on how to help them adjust. I don't meant to take up so much room on your thread. I 'm kind of a fast typer and have been known to accidentally leave novels. Please forgive me if you feel I'm writing too much about the subject.

If you don't mind, I'd like to share some thoughts I have about the adjustment that's been on your mind. It's hard to give specific advice not knowing what age range you are looking into, but I do have three--no, four-- bits of advice that would have been helpful for me to understand, so I'll post them in hopes that it may be of use to you, now later, or even to someone else who comes across this...

-First, if you are not completely certain about what age range you plan to adopt in, BECOME CERTAIN. Take a break from looking at all the children in need and really focus on what you think would be best for your family. Then, once you think you have an idea, do everything you can to learn about the experiences of other adoptive parents who have adopted within that age range.

-I heard a famous psychologist say this once and he was dead right!...Change the name of your process from "Adoption" to "LEGALIZED KIDNAPPING." Then, and only then, will Parents begin to understand how your adopted child feels. Even newborn babies understand when they have been removed from their birthmother. They have cortisol flooded systems and if their emotional needs have ever gone unmet they can develop serious bonding and attachment issues which could potentially affect them for life. I would also add to this that your child will not be Grateful that you adopted them, at least not yet:) Which leads me to my next tidbit...

-Every adopted child is a traumatized child. Again whether they are an infant or nearly an adult. Trauma can come from one single event or be caused by extreme stress over a period of time. Losing everything you've ever known and being put with strangers is stressful! Not to mention many of these kids have actually experienced truly neglectful and traumatic events in their young lives. Many children feel as if they've had no control over their lives and will often use extreme and harmful measures to feel like they are controlling their surroundings. Continue you're awesome research and put a huge emphasis on how PTSD manifests in children. I would also strongly advise you or anyone else to put together a list of resources like babysitters for when you need a break and *research good adoption therapists in your area. A good therapist is truly a gift!

-Finally, remember "If it's good for the parents, it's good for the child." I guarantee you that your marriage is about to be tried in ways you would not have predicted. Keep nurturing your marriage especially when you feel crabby and things aren't going as you wish they would have.
--------
Alright, sorry for the novella. I really do wish you every success and happiness in the world!
I like a good novel from time to time :p Great advice!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

I truly, truly appreciate this insight. Did I say truly :) I have a good amount of experience with ptsd & have taken more classes than I care to admit on child development & victimology. So from a clerical standpoint i'm prepped. However, nothing is like real life experience. My heart is already breaking for the trauma these kids most likely would have gone through & I know uprooting them again placing them in my home is not going to help this stress. I do want to minimize it as best as I can though. We when started, we hoped for an infant. We have since switched gears pretty dramatically and have started considering older children. We left it open on paper because I don't want to be too narrow minded if the right set of circumstances come along. We also are set on "keeping" them from fostering to a legal adoption & chances for permanent placement are great in older children. So that all being said, and really really trying to not get our hopes up to much.... We formally applied to inquire about twin eight year old's today. A boy & a girl :) We shall see what happens :)

Prairie Mom

I truly, truly appreciate this insight. Did I say truly :) I have a good amount of experience with ptsd & have taken more classes than I care to admit on child development & victimology. So from a clerical standpoint i'm prepped. However, nothing is like real life experience. My heart is already breaking for the trauma these kids most likely would have gone through & I know uprooting them again placing them in my home is not going to help this stress. I do want to minimize it as best as I can though. We when started, we hoped for an infant. We have since switched gears pretty dramatically and have started considering older children. We left it open on paper because I don't want to be too narrow minded if the right set of circumstances come along. We also are set on "keeping" them from fostering to a legal adoption & chances for permanent placement are great in older children. So that all being said, and really really trying to not get our hopes up to much.... We formally applied to inquire about twin eight year old's today. A boy & a girl :) We shall see what happens :)

It certainly sounds like your future kids will be in great hands! Good luck with your inquiries and I hope your adoption process goes smoothly:)

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Congratulations and good luck! My husband and I are parents to 4 and we are interim care providers for newborns for an agency that gives new moms time to make decisions regarding adoption. It has been a very rewarding experience for our whole family. Follow your heart, and enjoy each moment!! What an exciting time for you and your husband. There will be challenges, but know you are doing a great thing! Many kids out there waiting for forever families.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Just an update, we are now officially inquiring for placement. We have asked to meet with a 6year old in mi and a 10 year old from southern ohio. Both boys. Hopefully one of them excepts our application. It would be great to have a family for the holidays, but we are not getting our hopes up yet :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
My husband and I have a house full of critters but no children. We really want children but sometimes your own plans for life don't line up I guess. We are just finishing up (tomorrow!) with our home study and will be licensed foster to adopt parents awaiting placement. We are too excited and a little scared. Any one have any experience they can share? Advice?
Bless your heart!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I so wish you all the best of luck. A family for the holidays, now that would be the best gift ever for those kids, and you. I so hope it works out. When it does, I'm sure we all would love to see that family portrait.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Best of luck to you! Such an exciting time. Be patient. I'm sure someone is meant to be a part of your family!

Prairie Mom

We got a placement today! A tough cute lil baby girl born with drugs in her system. She's a fighter though! 4 weeks old and we just got back from the dr a bit ago! Excited and scared but feeling pretty blessed to be part of her journey!
That's so exciting! What are the chances of birth parents giving up custody?