Flash's thread

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Flash is a baby Jordanian Greek. He started hatching 7/17/13, fully emerged 7/19/13. I figured instead of making numerous threads about flash, I'll just centralize it all here :). I'll put pics and updates in here periodically. Flash finally got to move into his actual habitat this past Sunday.

1375210245787.jpg

1375210293942.jpg

1375210317725.jpg

1375210335563.jpg

1375210360867.jpg

He's got a feeding/baking slate in there. A log hide (which I've yet to see him use), tons of sphagnum moss all on the warm side. Water dish is on the middle, there's a small succulent forget what type but it is safe, and more sphagnum moss for hiding on the cool side. All of this in a small 10 gallon tote for now.

Sent from my XT881 using TortForum mobile app

To save some space, here's a link to the Flash's initial thread. There's some pics of him right after he hatched out in there.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-75431.html

He now weighs a whopping 14 grams and is still about the same length.

It was so awesome on Sunday. I got finished setting everything up for him and set him in there. It was like a switch flipped and all of a sudden he knew what to do. He proceeded to start to try to eat the aspen shavings and coco coir and just about anything else. I ran and grabbed some radicchio and he ate for the first time! I have a video of it that I'm going to post in the next little bit too!

Link to the video of Flash eating for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4f_M7_UQPc

Little side note, the day before the video was taken. I was holding Flash in my hand, right in front of Rafiki (momma) eating. Some of the things he does while he eats is the exact same that Rafiki does. What's pretty funny is sometime he does things at the wrong time and gets frustrated as to why it's not working. This little dude is a riot. He got so mad, right after the video, that he couldn't get all of the radicchio, that he took one last hard bite at it and then ran into his hiding space under the sphagnum moss. Two minutes later he came out and conquered that same piece :)

Last edited by a moderator:

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Munching on a Dahlia petal

1375284427213.jpg

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Thanks :) He's quite the character already. He's figured out the morning routine already. I wake up and give both he and Rafiki morning baths, and while they're soaking I prepare food for them. I had a kind of hectic morning this morning so I had to take them out of the water before I had their food out. I came back to put the food in and he has waiting for me to come back sitting on top of the sphagnum moss almost straight up. As soon as he saw me he couldn't get down quick enough and over to where I put his food. I love watching him because most everything is brand new. I made the parallel that right now he's a like a baby that just discovered their hands :)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
1376088384801.jpg

Pic was taken five minutes ago. 3 weeks out of the egg today. He was about 1.25" and 13 grams.

Today he's 18 grams and just sort of 1.75". He was quite squirmy trying to measure him so we'll call that an educated guess :)

Tech13

5 Year Member
So cute! Since my Greek was older when we got him, it is so cool to see "where he came from", cool thread!

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Sometimes I still can't wrap my mind around how small he his. It's pretty amazing to see.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Jlant, that is an awesome idea. Flash is a burrower for now. If you look at the first post in this thread at the third picture, that's where he spends 90% of his time. All it is is sphagnum moss on top of straight coco coir. The to later of moss usually does out but every time I have to dig for him, at ground level the moss is damp and the dirt he is covered in is damp as well. The enclosure gets sprayed down several times a day too, so that helps. So I kind of feel like its almost like that link. I had done my research and learned they spend a lot of time under roots of plants for many reasons so that's what i tried to do with that setup and it seems satisfactory now. He is growing well so far. Its funny too. I had planted the testudo seed mix from tortoisesupply.com in a kiddie pool, and decided to pull out about a third and make a little outside space for him. I put in a log hide and also the same sphagnum moss setup too. It's been about a week and a half, yesterday was the first i had seen him check the log out. He went in for a minute, came back and dug under the moss. The outside moss stays pretty most as well.

1376940863268.jpg

Forgot to attach this :)

"The to later of moss usually does out but...." should be top layer of moss usually does dry out, sorry. That's what I get for hitting post before proof-reading :)

I also switched up the warm side of his house. The feeding stone is where the log was because he never used it. The log is now in his outside house, which he still doesn't use

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
1377191463064.jpg

Found Flash poking out of his moss this morning. I love finding him like this :)

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Nice looking baby you got there...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Beautiful little baby, and it looks like there is some nice smooth new growth coming in! :)

farber2028 said:
Found Flash poking out of his moss this morning. I love finding him like this :)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Before we left for our honeymoon on Thursday he was 21 grams and right around an inch and three quarters long. I think his first little growth spurt came to an end. We're back on the 6th and I'm excited to see how much the little guy grows. He and the momma Rafiki are being cared for by my brother in law who had a beardie before. So they're in good hands :)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I've been slacking a bit. Flash is now 31g as of the other day. He's just over 2" now too. Here's a couple of pics just because :)

1380732050805.jpg

Can you find him?
1380732059562.jpg

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
His shell is looking awesome!

1383849203049.jpg

I think he's saying, "who me? I didn't eat it..."
1383849222594.jpg

One next to momma :)

1383849237115.jpg

Flash is somewhere right around 2.25"-2.5" and has gained 14 grams on a month and is now a beefy 45g. He's doing awesome!

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Just a quick pic is all :)

1386009875775.jpg

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
farber2028 said:
Just a quick pic is all :)

Flash is looking good! ^_^ can't wait to have my first hatchling! I just got a male Ibera so someday ill breed once he is done with quarantine.