Flashing tort

fairuz

Hi guys. I almost had a heart attack. My young boy suddenly flashed himself again for the second time during soaking. This time it took longer - nearly 5 mins. I freaked out! What's more after reading about prolapse and etc. Was about to cry too just now since it is nightime here and there's no way that I can take him to the vet right away.

He then crawled out of the water dish, still flashing himself in and out. So, I picked him up and put him back in d water. Later, he stopped to flash and pooped in his soak and everything went to normal.

Is this going to happen everytime he poop/soak? Will he be flashing before pooping? How long will it takes for a tort to flash normally?

Thank you in advance guys.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL. When my leopard first flashed me, he did it every time I soaked him for about 2-3 weeks, which at that time was daily soaks. So, it might be awhile. They are very proud at first LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They stop after a while. Seems like its a new feeling for them and they have to 'play' with it for a couple weeks.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wow this thread might actually have to look up to similar on FaceBook to not be so Facebookish. It's an erection, they happen for all kinds of reasons. Not just based on reproductive stimulation. As the tortoises' penis is internal everting in clean water 'douches' it. See how I brought that back to you ladies. Some males do have it on the inside (not hanging out there in the breeze), and it needs to be kept clean. Sometimes they self gratify too. But then some female tortoises lay eggs that are not fertile, I guess they are playing with theirs at that time.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just give him the birds and bees lecture and he'll be fine.
As long as it goes back in, nothing to worry about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
they do this? all of them? I'm worried now. :confused:

No, not all boys do this.

Some do it when they are first reaching maturity and those male hormones start raging, and then they settle down after a few months. Other males don't seem to ever do it.

AnimalLady

No, not all boys do this.

Some do it when they are first reaching maturity and those male hormones start raging, and then they settle down after a few months. Other males don't seem to ever do it.

How about Russians? Is it done more by different species? Or just Males in general because well, yea.

I don't want to be soaking him and BAM this thing comes out at me...! Ive had him for over a month and I have never seen his parts, I am not interested..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How about Russians? Is it done more by different species? Or just Males in general because well, yea.

I don't want to be soaking him and BAM this thing comes out at me...! Ive had him for over a month and I have never seen his parts, I am not interested..

Boys of all species can do this. It varies more with individuals. And yes, russian boys definitely do it too. Sorry.

Its really no big deal. Nothing to worry about or be concerned over.

Alaskamike

South Florida
My 9 lb Sulcata flashed and walked around dragging his off & on for a couple hours.
Tried to de-flower my tennis shoe. When I rinsed his off it retreated.

Nature is natural. Sex is a big part of it. And hormones are driving instinctual urges for preservation of the species.

A beautiful thing :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Vern is quite proud of his member and really likes to show it to guests. As long as he's not out on the carpet or in someone's lap I just roll my eyes.

AnimalLady

Boys of all species can do this. It varies more with individuals. And yes, russian boys definitely do it too. Sorry.

Its really no big deal. Nothing to worry about or be concerned over.
Oh I know, but it's still gross! I have enough penis shows with my dog! He's a nasty and always has it out!

I made the mistake of googling this, holy crap they have big members for their size!

AnimalLady

My 9 lb Sulcata flashed and walked around dragging his off & on for a couple hours.
Tried to de-flower my tennis shoe. When I rinsed his off it retreated.

Nature is natural. Sex is a big part of it. And hormones are driving instinctual urges for preservation of the species.

A beautiful thing :)

If the little ones look like arms, I'm scared to know what a 9lb Sulcatas looks like.. Eek!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
or imagine of five or six # aldab

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
My males tend to like to do this in the summer when they're in their water dish. It's perfectly normal. You get used to it after a while. Sometimes they try to hump my shoe, as well.

rbcurdt

St. Louis, MO
Oh I know, but it's still gross! I have enough penis shows with my dog! He's a nasty and always has it out!

I made the mistake of googling this, holy crap they have big members for their size!
Oh god, why even after reading this, did I google it?!?