Flakey shell what is it?

henrytbryant

5 Year Member
My tortoise has a flakey shell can anyone tell me what it is. I hope it is not shell rot. The area does not seem soft and I've been feeding him regularly.

Attachments

• 2013-10-27 21.09.06.jpg
    2013-10-27 21.09.06.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 61

henrytbryant

5 Year Member
[split] Shell rot?

My Russian tortoise Alex has a white spot on hime were it looks like his shell is peeling away. Any advice I think it might be shell rot.

Attachments

• 2013-10-27 21.09.06.jpg
    2013-10-27 21.09.06.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 63

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
RE: [split] Shell rot?

The photo is a bit blurry, but there does appear to be an injury there. When my sulcata had an injury to the keratin layer I cleaned it with chlorehexidine scrubbing the injured area to remove any dead tissue. Bedadine can be used for this too. Then I applied a triple anti-biotic to the wound and kept the area clean. I did this for about 10 days. Weeks later new keratin grew in covering the injured spot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Shell rot is usually on the plastron (underneath shell), not the carapace (top shell). What you are seeing is an old injury. It is nothing to worry about.

henrytbryant

5 Year Member
RE: [split] Shell rot?

Dizisdalife said:
The photo is a bit blurry, but there does appear to be an injury there. When my sulcata had an injury to the keratin layer I cleaned it with chlorehexidine scrubbing the injured area to remove any dead tissue. Bedadine can be used for this too. Then I applied a triple anti-biotic to the wound and kept the area clean. I did this for about 10 days. Weeks later new keratin grew in covering the injured spot.
Good to know I'm glad Alex is ok.:)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Yvonne G said:
Shell rot is usually on the plastron (underneath shell), not the carapace (top shell). What you are seeing is an old injury. It is nothing to worry about.

I agree,,,, it looks like old war wounds if anything. I wouldn't worry