First Tortoise Enclosure/First Time Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooks

5 Year Member
We had just ordered a juvenile marginated tortoise that should be arriving tomorrow and we set out to build a turtle table for it that can reside in our living room (Michigan, so it's to cold to put it outside or anything)

This is what's set up so far, is there anything in there that we're missing?

turtle.jpg

we've seen a lot of climbing areas in turtle tables, should we have one for our marginated? We've also been concerned about staining it, it would look a lot nicer but we don't know what kind of chemicals would be acceptable if any.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I painted just the outside of my tortoise table. That way no paint/stain eating for the future tort and cohesive indoor decor for me. Good luck!

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Pooks said:
We had just ordered a juvenile marginated tortoise that should l

Not sure about the care for marginated tortoises but it might be hard to keep humidity up without a top on it, also you should be able to stain it just be sure to give it plenty of time to air out.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Use non toxic water-proofing on the table. If you don't the wood will rot out.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Not sure about this species care, but if you need good humidity, the wood will begin to mold pretty quick. I had to stain mine and that seems to have fixed the problem.

You will definitely want it to air out for awhile if you stain it for your and the torts health.

Pooks

5 Year Member
That's actually my dads dog so he won't be there. I will be staining the outside next summer and waterproofing the inside as well. I may have to replace the bottom board at that time but he needs a home now and the weather here wouldn't be suitable for staining it outside right now.

We got it all moved in and set up in our home, I took a picture but can't upload it right now off my phone. Unfortunately while we were moving it in, it tipped and smashed my large tv :-(. Our little turtle is real cute though, still haven't got a name for the little guy yet though

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have had good luck with the Behr water based, water proof stains. It only took a few days for the odor to clear. I used a regular water based stain on the outside.

You could cover part of it with plexiglass to help hold in humidity. You look like you might have the skill to cut hole in it for your lights. If not, just use smaller pieces around the lights (not touching).

A lot of us line the bottom of our tort tables (in addition to using waterproofing) with pond or shower pan liner, etc., up the sides a few inches. That might be difficult with your glass sides, unless you trimmed the bottom of the glass off with wood?

Once you get the staining, etc., done, and work out your lights and possible partial top, you can add substrate and then the fun begins. flat rocks, small logs, a plant or two. You can use real house plants ( http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp ) or silk plants from craft stores.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
If you aren't putting a cover on top you need to cap the corners. Not because it will climb out, but because if you don't it'll spend all day trying too.

*Nice choice of tortoise too. They are lively, and get to be very tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.