First time turt mom

2xchromosomes

Location (City and/or State)
Imperial, MO
I live in imperial, mo located 30 mins south of St. Louis. Our backyard is a state park. On June 15, 2017 I witnessed a three toed digging her nest next to our shed where a gang of raccoons visit daily. I patiently watched over her and shoed a raccoon come dusk. I considered chicken wiring around the nest when I remembered how vigilant the verm get when I cover deer feed. So... I read about incubation and carefully dug them up, careful not to rotate.

I situated a styrofoam cooler shallowly filled with water and an aquarium heater. A plastic litter box filled with sphagnum moss and nesting dirt positioned across the inner lip of the cooler, not touching the water houses the eggs in the exact same position as momma laid them. Sphagnum moss lightly covers the eggs so I have a place to rest the thermometer and humidity reader. Lastly, the top of the cooler is clamped down with clamps and the entire unit sits on my shingled roof covered, heavily shaded back porch where I check the temps and condition every other day.

The eggs are 48-days and the temps have been between 70-92. Just today I candled the eggs and can see blood vessels and tiny shadows except for one. I suspect is a dud. It's internal color looks more fluid, yellow and is the least swollen.

The other eggs appear to have swollen and I lifted one very slowly and only a couple inches from the substrate; it is much heavier than the suspected dud.

Here is a pic of momma
7ef96a498a8f74c2592e0580f931c733.jpg

I began vermiculture a few weeks ago so I can always have worms for my babies, and I figure other bugs will be easily acquired through the state park.

I plan to use either a kiddie pool or 30-gallon aquarium for their indoor habitat until old enough for outdoors. Does anyone have tips or references for me? I am so worried about them making it through their first year successfully.

Thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Swelling may indicate there is too much humidity in the egg chamber.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

2xchromosomes

Imperial, MO
6 of 7 have hatched. I've built them a cozy home in a 30 gallon aquarium for the winter and would like to release 4 come spring, and built an outdoor habitat for the other two. Is it more advisable to release the 4 now, before winter or wait like I planned. I'm worried about disturbing their natural tendencies.
Thank you!

zovick

10 Year Member!
6 of 7 have hatched. I've built them a cozy home in a 30 gallon aquarium for the winter and would like to release 4 come spring, and built an outdoor habitat for the other two. Is it more advisable to release the 4 now, before winter or wait like I planned. I'm worried about disturbing their natural tendencies.
Thank you!

It's my opinion that it is probably better to just turn the four loose in the wild now and let them do what comes naturally to them rather than get them used to being fed all winter and then release them.