first post showing off my torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
mesa, az
I currently have 4:tort::tort::tort::tort: sulcatas they about 2 years old. Chips, Salsa, Queso and Bob. Bob belongs to my cousin, but they live a good distance away, so he is staying with us until I can make the trip to take Bob to my cousin, who will join his sibling Fred. :cool:

We have an indoor inclosure that we can bring in and out, as we live in an apartment right now. During the summer, they don't go out as often as it get over 110 here and my patio gets well over 115 at times. But on the nice days they spend most of their day outside, soaking up the sun. We also mist them several times while they are outside too.

Indoors, we keep screening over the inclosure held on by clips to keep the kitty out. She is really good with them, but I don't want her using their house as a litter box, and I would never trust her while I wasn't around.

You will notice in the picture that Bob and Queso are much larger then Chips and Salsa. (from left to right... Chips, Bob, Queso, Salsa) Yes, they are from the same clutch. The owner of their parents had the larger ones longer and they were fed EVERY day. I feed every two to three days. They eat timothy grass, and for treats they get, cactus pads, kale, parsley etc... no fruit, no protein, and nothing off the bad lists. I am a strict mommy!

Attachments

• IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, schmodygirl!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I am always curious as to what causes this person to go with one method over another, so this is not a negative question in any way. I am curious as to why you have decided not to feed every day with these young ones? Who by the way, are very nice looking.

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
That is a good question. I did a lot of reading before hand and read up about feeding every two to three days for a slower growth pattern. I found a lot of info about wild vs captive sullys. Basically in the wild they aren't full grown until around 20-25 yrs of age, eating every 2-3 days. Where captive daily fed they are usually full grown by 10-15 yrs. Knowing that, I don't want them to be too big before I purchase a home with the perfect backyard for them.

Their parents are 16 and haven't really changed in size in the last 3-5 yrs. They are beautiful parents, I will try to upload a picture later when I am on my computer. My babies are from their first clutch. Their owner spoils them, however they are so spoiled they won't eat timothy hay, they will only use it as bedding. But they are good lawnmowers, grazing the backyard. :) When I first got Bob and Queso it took a few weeks to get them to eat the hay as they were used to eating romaine lettuce each day. I cut up the hay for their smaller jaws, just like I did for Chips and Salsa.

I do have a question for everyone.... I saw something the other day about oiling shells... do any of you do that? If so, what do you use? Like coconut, olive, avocado?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't believe in oiling the shells, especially for a tortoise that lives outside. I think it may cause overheating.

My exception to that rule is if there is a problem with new growth causing the scutes to stick together. In that case, I advocate painting the space between the scutes (only) with a Q-tip dipped in mineral or baby oil, and massaging it in. Then wipe it all off.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I've read not to oil because of it possibly causing them to heat up in the sun and/or lights. I pondered it for awhile too but wondered if jojoba was as good for them as us. I now stick with sunshine and misting with warm water as a lot of folks have shown AMAZING results.
Like aldabramans epic shine!!

image-3147997587.png

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
Thank you, I wondered what purpose it would serve other then making them shine. I will stick to the misting, they love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.