New to the forum

Schmoozbt

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have been lurking around and reading a lot of posts before getting started. We have 2 Sulcata tortoises that are about 2 years old. We finally had time to get them outside and just finished their new home. Their names are Sophia and Bob. Sophia is the bigger one. They have some pyramiding and I'm afraid it is from overfeeding of romaine when they were babies.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496018147.057854.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Check out our Sulcata care section.
Pyramiding is not caused by lettuce.
Also, when keeping two tortoises together, one will almost always be larger. This is another situation that can be remedied by reading.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, warm welcome to the Forum! I'm raising 2 baby RFs. Got 2 bfr I knew about this forum. I am prepared to separate them at any time I start seeing some signs of territorial dominance displays. The RFs are known to often do ok in groups. Sulcatas are different though. Torts are teritorial and can be pretty mean to each other. You'll learn all about that and all the other stuff you need to know in order to raise a healthy sulcata tort, just stick around, ask questions, read, make friends in the process. Great to have you here. There are awesome sulcata keepers and breeders on here, you'll find yourself right at home:)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
They don't do well in pairs. One will always try to push the other out of the territory... evidenced by follow the leader actions(chasing), sleeping together(one dominating the other) and playing together(trying to flip the other). That's why one is usually smaller. Bullying. It's very subtle. Very stressful. Tortoises have survived as a species for so long because they know to instinctively protect their territory.

The pyramiding is due to being raised too dry. Baby sulcatas need high humidity as well as high heat to grow smooth. This is a relatively new revalation.

Schmoozbt

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your feedback. I will keep an eye on them and build another pen if need be. Hopefully this enclosure will be big enough for the two of them temporarily.
Do you think the pen will provide enough moisture the way it sits or is there something else I can do?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Some folks set up humid hides for their outdoor juveniles. If you plug "humid hide" in the search bar above you should fide ideas...I'm still setting up my outdoor enclosures (notice plural :/ ) you aren't the first person to get pairs before finding out you shouldn't. I'm looking for a third mostly because I can't let one of my babies go... : (

Last edited:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you all for your feedback. I will keep an eye on them and build another pen if need be. Hopefully this enclosure will be big enough for the two of them temporarily.
Do you think the pen will provide enough moisture the way it sits or is there something else I can do?
You could provide them with a pond. The pen looks small and there doesn't look like there is much to do. You need some sight barriers and obstacles to walk around. Plants would be nice. I don't think the rocks are ideal.

Schmoozbt

5 Year Member
Thank you Big Charlie. I will work on your suggestions next day off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Schmoozbt

5 Year Member
I have put the smaller one inside temporarily until we can build another outdoor one. Maybe swap them each day until the second outside one is complete. Or would it be better to split this one in half temporarily?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I have put the smaller one inside temporarily until we can build another outdoor one. Maybe swap them each day until the second outside one is complete. Or would it be better to split this one in half temporarily?
I think the swapping might be better. It depends on how big the enclosure is. It usually is better if their enclosures aren't next to each other and they might try to knock down the barrier.

Schmoozbt

5 Year Member
I'm sorry for being ignorant, but my big question is... at what point can they be in the same area? I see many examples of several tortoises together and I really don't want to get rid of either. They are part of the family. We will, if need be, but want to try and figure out a way to keep both.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry for being ignorant, but my big question is... at what point can they be in the same area? I see many examples of several tortoises together and I really don't want to get rid of either. They are part of the family. We will, if need be, but want to try and figure out a way to keep both.
Dogs and cats do great in pairs ! But torts do better in groups of 3 or more !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496283084.131191.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
3 or more as long as all female or only one male. If both of yours are males I think you'd need a group of 5(3 more females).

Schmoozbt

5 Year Member
Oh, I didn't even think that was an option. We would love to have another. I will take photos to see if you all could help us determine sex.