Finding a rock for my tortoise?

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey guys, I’m thinking about adding some rocks and other things to my 6 year old Russian tortoises enclosure. I heard that I should not do this as it might bring in bacteria in my torts enclosure, is this true? What if I wash the rock with cleaning chemicals?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't worry about bringing in rocks, just clean them with hot water. However, if you don't have a proper sized enclosure, then you are taking up walking space that is needed. Also rocks can cause them to flip if it's a bigger rock.
Proper sized enclosure should be minimum of 4x8 feet. If he doesn't have that, then make changes to enlarge the enclosure and hold off on the rocks until then.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
How about some pictures of your setup?
IMG_2181.jpeg
We just moved so this is his temporary enclosure. Before he had a pretty big rock that he really liked and basked on all the time. He also had some pebbles. I think I will hold off on the big rocks like Tom said but I will try to add some small rocks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, that is way too small. Even temporary that is too small. Get him into a proper sized enclosure and do not add anything else to this tiny box except a water dish!
You have been a member since June and you know this is cruelly to small. You will have digestive and walking problems if not corrected ASAP!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My adult Russian loves sitting on a flat rock. He also will hang out sideways on a group of three rocks I found at Hobby Lobby that are rounder. It's hilarious how he'll use those. He'll just park himself and air out his plastron all kinds of ways. And there's no chance he can flip himself over because they aren't tall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 361446
We just moved so this is his temporary enclosure. Before he had a pretty big rock that he really liked and basked on all the time. He also had some pebbles. I think I will hold off on the big rocks like Tom said but I will try to add some small rocks.
What bulbs are in those hoods? If you are using a cfl type bulb, those can sometimes burn their eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Definitely no cfl bulbs or spot bulbs or any others. This is the one we are using:
Interesting that they don't tell you on the package if its a spot or flood. You'll have to read the fine print on the actual bulb to see what you've got.

What is in the other hood?

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Interesting that they don't tell you on the package if its a spot or flood. You'll have to read the fine print on the actual bulb to see what you've got.

What is in the other hood?
No information on the bulb or the box but it looks like a flood bulb. The other lamp is a 10 UVB lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The other lamp is a 10 UVB lamp.
That is a cfl. Compact florescent lamp. Those are the ones we say not to use. They sometimes burn reptiles eyes, and they are not an effective UV source. Replace that with a LED for light or something. You need a HO T5 florescent lamp for indoor UV.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
That is a cfl. Compact florescent lamp. Those are the ones we say not to use. They sometimes burn reptiles eyes, and they are not an effective UV source. Replace that with a LED for light or something. You need a HO T5 florescent lamp for indoor UV.
Oh shoot. Alright, I will do that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are in CA. Is there no way of building an outdoor enclosure? You wouldn't need a uvb. Even if he was only outside for the day and you brought him in at night?

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
You are in CA. Is there no way of building an outdoor enclosure? You wouldn't need a uvb. Even if he was only outside for the day and you brought him in at night?
We moved to North Carolina where it rains every other day, especially in fall, winter, and spring. Also we like his company.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We moved to North Carolina where it rains every other day, especially in fall, winter, and spring. Also we like his company.
That's nice you like his company, but what's best for the tortoise is to live outside at least when it's warm enough too. Even a warm rain, with a hide available, the tort would enjoy it. Then you could enjoy his company when it's too cold to be outside.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
That's nice you like his company, but what's best for the tortoise is to live outside at least when it's warm enough too. Even a warm rain, with a hide available, the tort would enjoy it. Then you could enjoy his company when it's too cold to be outside.
Ok. We will start working on it when spring and summer come again. Right now its fall and then winter and it is already getting colder.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As far as "rocks" go. A flat rock. Or a section of flat cement, sandstone. slate or terra cotta in an enclosure is excellent for keeping nails worn down naturally.
Every time the tortoise walks over it, the nails get filed down a little.
This is true for any enclosure. For any tortoises of any size.