Finally ... Ruby Red Slipper's Indoor Tortoise House

Sandy Lou

Finally! I got Ruby's new house, delivered and set up. First time since she arrived I don't have to panic about the lack of humidity and temperature. Now, I just worry in the other direction. So far, the only thing in it is a liner, substrate (sphagnum and cypress blend) - a watering hole - (terracotta planter base) and her food bowl. It's huge compared to the other one.

How high is too high of a humidity?

He built dual openings and the left opening opens into her hidy-hole and a small part of the big box. The other opening is the one with the wire top on the "big side". I got the greenhouse idea from someone on this forum and it sure is making a difference in the temp and humidty control.

Thoughts please. Thank you all for your help!!

OH, and the whole thing is 64"x40"x12".

Attachments

• rubyshouse.jpg
    rubyshouse.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 46

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Humidity rises. Are you measuring it at tort level? If you could, I would remove the wood top and use the plastic greenhouse as the top.
Anyway, with RF 80% humidity is good. However, you do need to keep the top substrate dry as they are prone to shell rot. If you could pipe the warm air must from the humidifier into the lower section, that would greatly raise the humidity at tort level.

Sandy Lou

Hi, Barb. I am measuring it at tort level now. It's currently 91 degrees and 69 % humidity. The light will turn of fin 25 minutes and I'll watch to see what it does from there. Could you turn off the humidifier at night and just let it settle or rather would it be better to turn off the humidifier in the day when the temps rise from the west sun and the light combined - and create a daily rainforest? Id hate for her to get shell rot. In the other enclosure, she had a water bath available at all times and she used it daily. She's only been in this one for a few hours. But she's out and about ...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would turn the humidifier off at night. Without the added heat at night, the humidity will usually rise. Still give her a water bowl that she can use and get in and out of easily.

Sandy Lou

I would turn the humidifier off at night. Without the added heat at night, the humidity will usually rise. Still give her a water bowl that she can use and get in and out of easily.

Thank you. I did turn it off and it did rise to 88. It's in the 20's outside so we are keeping the house warm and that dries out everything. The greenhouse cover seems to make a great difference. She has always had a water bowl that she can get in and out of - until today it was a 9x13 baking dish because that is all that would fit. In her new house, she has a large terracotta planter base as a bowl. She liked the other one a lot. Tomorrow will tell what she thinks of this one too.

Thanks for your help.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Good size house...just remove the top and if you dont have them-add ceramic heaters...make sure you use the ceramic dome not with plastic.