Figuring out sex for sulcata

Aleatory

I'm new to the group, hi everyone! I have 3 sulcata tortoises, I dont know what I was thinking! They were the size of a quarter when I got them, they are now about 8 or 9 and weight about 13 pounds each. From what I've read it takes years to determine the sex. In the last 2 weeks, 2 of them have had a long, what looks like a penis, and the drag it on the grass. I was ready to take it to the Vet but it released liquid and went back I side. Isn't 8/9 a little early for them? Needless to say I think I have 2 boys and 1 girl. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
13 pounds at 8 or 9 years old is very small.

In most cases they start flashing at 2.5-4 years old, but they are usually 10 pounds by 2.5 and 20-30 pounds by 4. Some grow faster than this even, but I'd say the majority are near this range.

We'd be happy to talk to you about care routines and feeding to see why they are still so small, but it sounds like you are going to need 3 separate enclosures really soon, in any case.

Hope we can help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. It does sound like you have at least two male but a pic is need to tell for sure. Btw, if they are males, you will need to seperated them, as they will fight. If it's two males and one female they will all need their own enclosure as one male and one female together will not be healthy and could be deadly for the female.

Aleatory

I will take the pictures of the bottoms of the shell when they come out later. The second picture is a house my husband built for them, fully insulated and a heater, if it gets too cold. They are always together, they each have a separate hole dug but all night they March into the "turtle house" together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you?

60 is much too cold for them at night. I keep my young ones no lower than 80 at night.

That is a great looking box, by the way.