Figgy begins the growth journey

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Figgy, our baby sulcata has really taken to the Mazuri over the past 2 weeks. Went from 147g last Tuesday to 167g tonight. One week!! 1/8" bigger in each direction.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 5.57.51 PM.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mazuri will put size on. It also can be very addicting to them. Be sure not too feed too much and mix it with his other foods to keep him eating the other stuff. Otherwise you will have a tort that will only eat mazuri.

ryan57

PA
That’s crazy how big stump has got. Mine is only 1415g at 18 months old
Yours (Name? I forgot) is 3.12 lbs. @ 18 months. Our little one hatched at the top of August so he's going on 6 months and is only 167g tonight. Stump was almost 1lb. @ 6 months. By my calculations Figgy will be only about 2.5lbs and yours is 3.12lbs!!! @ 18 months so yours is growing great! The time line doesn't even really matter in the long run. It's like they get ready to take off with all the nutrients they need and then they take off.

Yes. Stump was 3lbs @ 11 months and 11lbs @ 18 months. I know. Being new to this I had no idea what to expect. That sweet boy was 23lbs 13oz this evening at almost 23 months old (Next week).

When I brought him down from his tub this evening, realizing that he is totally reliant on us holding him in the air as we have since he was 30 grams,

IMG_2091.PNG

at some point soon he's just going to have to be a ground dweller for his safety. Probably this spring. I could never forgive myself if an accident happened and he was dropped or harmed in any way. Ever.

Send a photo of yours! I think this beautiful tortoise below (cleanest I've ever seen!) was only 2lbs or so @ 1 year right @Warren . Sure looks awesome.

full

Last edited:

ryan57

PA
Mazuri will put size on. It also can be very addicting to them. Be sure not too feed too much and mix it with his other foods to keep him eating the other stuff. Otherwise you will have a tort that will only eat mazuri.
Much to my surprise this little one even eats the dry stuff from Will @ Kapidolo Farms, Moringa, Mulberry, Dandelion, etc. and even chopped grass. His diet of greens is about 70% grocery store greens, Swiss chard, a little kale, radicchio, escarole, endive, etc. and then grass, other weeds and about 5% mazuri. Very little. I understand now when people say that theirs eats like a horse but you don't see the growth. Figgy eats much more than Stump did at that size. At least twice as much, maybe 3 times.

It was almost 18months before Stump would eat grass now you can't keep him out of the yard. He'll eat half of his plate and head for the door to graze. That's his preference. When there's not snow on the grass I bring a bunch in and chop it up for every meal.

Got the orchard grass pellets @ Tractor Supply. Stump is coming around to them now but hated them at first. I soaked them then mixed them with the Mazuri the first time I served it and he literally stared at me for 10 minutes and didn't eat anything from that plate... even what he likes. He didn't even pick around the edge. Kathleen made him another plate like normal. Obviously he prefers his grass fresh from the yard.

Last edited:

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Yours (Name? I forgot) is 3.12 lbs. @ 18 months. Our little one hatched at the top of August so he's going on 6 months and is only 167g tonight. Stump was almost 1lb. @ 6 months. By my calculations Figgy will be only about 2.5lbs and yours is 3.12lbs!!! @ 18 months so yours is growing great! The time line doesn't even really matter in the long run. It's like they get ready to take off with all the nutrients they need and then they take off.

Yes. Stump was 3lbs @ 11 months and 11lbs @ 18 months. I know. Being new to this I had no idea what to expect. That sweet boy was 23lbs 13oz this evening at almost 23 months old (Next week).

When I brought him down from his tub this evening, realizing that he is totally reliant on us holding him in the air as we have since he was 30 grams,

View attachment 365601

at some point soon he's just going to have to be a ground dweller for his safety. Probably this spring. I could never forgive myself if an accident happened and he was dropped or harmed in any way. Ever.

Send a photo of yours! I think this beautiful tortoise below (cleanest I've ever seen!) was only 2lbs or so @ 1 year right @Warren . Sure looks awesome.

full
Mine doesn’t have a name. Even after 18months 😂. I’m waiting to see what the sex is!

ryan57

PA
I love your growth tracking spreadsheets! I've started one for my Russian hatchling ❤️
It makes tortoise Tuesdays very exciting. This evening Figgy is 200g on the button @ 6 months. Seems they get ordered on the weekend shipped on Mondays so Tuesday was the arrival day for both. What's interesting for me is the growth rates are pretty steady. For the larger species it's interesting to me how the growth is compounded by the weight the previous weeks but...

If anything happens and you need to refer to those weights at the vet for some reason you'll have it!