Female ?

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hello,

I wanted to check something with you guys.

I have read my butt off, and checked so many caresheets I can't even remember ;)

My Russian was sold to me as a male, but after examination, and comparison, I really think he is actually a she!

I think so, because of the V shaped tale which is short and stubby, and the anal vent which is shaped like an * and not a | .....

What do you guys think?

Yoshi is estimated age is between 3.4 years.

10348464_727335243972550_943709717782746537_n.jpg

Take care,

Joey

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looking very female at this point, but what is the length and weight?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What we use to ID the sex of a tortoise are visible secondary sexual characteristics, like tail size and shape, cloaca size, shape and position, anal scute shape, and in some species (not russians) plastron concavity and gular scute size. These traits do not show up and become obvious until the tortoise is reaching maturity. Several years in most cases. Sometimes early clues are present, but most of the time young tortoises either look female-ish, or about halfway in between to where if the tail does not grow much more it will be female, but if those male hormones kick in and the tail grows a bunch, you'll know you have a male.

Yours is still young, but that tail would have to grow quite a bit, more than "average", for this tortoise to be a male. So my initial guess at this pre-mature stage is female. Time, hormones and growth could prove me wrong though...

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
What we use to ID the sex of a tortoise are visible secondary sexual characteristics, like tail size and shape, cloaca size, shape and position, anal scute shape, and in some species (not russians) plastron concavity and gular scute size. These traits do not show up and become obvious until the tortoise is reaching maturity. Several years in most cases. Sometimes early clues are present, but most of the time young tortoises either look female-ish, or about halfway in between to where if the tail does not grow much more it will be female, but if those male hormones kick in and the tail grows a bunch, you'll know you have a male.

Yours is still young, but that tail would have to grow quite a bit, more than "average", for this tortoise to be a male. So my initial guess at this pre-mature stage is female. Time, hormones and growth could prove me wrong though...

Thank you Tom, I will keep in mind all that you have said.

I knew about the conclave plastron but also that it doesn't apply here.

It doesn't matter to me what she is bit id like to know anyway.

I think I'll call her a she until we are a bit further a long.

How old can she be?
Previous owners have had her for a minimum of 2 years.

Joey

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A reasonable guess would be 2 to 10 years old. I think your estimate of 3-4 is probably pretty close.