Feeling depressed about CDTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Yesterday was our first rainy day in our new house (La Mesa CA.) and I am feeling like it is too cold and wet here. I am worried that my CDTs are going to get sick. I feel very depressed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, but think about spring and summer. I start to get depressed when the days get shorter. I love summer. I'm sure your tortoises will be fine once fall and winter are over with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. I just leave them all out in the pen, even if it rains (their house is dry). They come out in the morning and warm up, then go back in the house. Once I don't see them come out anymore (usually around the end of October), I'll box them up in shredded paper and place the boxes in the old, vacant house that's on the back of my property. Its like an overgrown shed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Angi, they will be just fine....too wet? Oh how I envy the things you can grow there vs the labor involved here to just get a few things to survive...lol...

Just set them up so that they can get out of the wet and you can develop your own set up for winters there...brumate or over winter--you can get a set up going....you are new there so it is going to be a change...

I do similar for the CDTs here--but use rubbermaid tubs and cotton towels/tshirts and plop their tubs onto a folded towel and then plop them into their tubs into a dark, cool, dry closet in a attached converted garage with concrete flooring--I simply shut off all of the vents and that becomes the torts room--and if anyone wants to venture into that room, they just have to toss on like a couple pairs of socks and a few sweatshirts--and better be quiet----lol...:D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
ascott said:
Angi, they will be just fine....too wet? Oh how I envy the things you can grow there vs the labor involved here to just get a few things to survive...lol...

Just set them up so that they can get out of the wet and you can develop your own set up for winters there...brumate or over winter--you can get a set up going....you are new there so it is going to be a change...

I do similar for the CDTs here--but use rubbermaid tubs and cotton towels/tshirts and plop their tubs onto a folded towel and then plop them into their tubs into a dark, cool, dry closet in a attached converted garage with concrete flooring--I simply shut off all of the vents and that becomes the torts room--and if anyone wants to venture into that room, they just have to toss on like a couple pairs of socks and a few sweatshirts--and better be quiet----lol...:D

It warmed up so I am feeling better. I started raining, then I got a runny nose, then I took my sick gecko to the vet that cost $90.00 (husband was not happy) and I freaked out thinking the torts would get RIs because of the cold damp weather. Plus money is tight because we now have two morgages and repair that are needed. Sometime life causes little panic attacks for me, but I always get over it :) Thanks for all the advice:)!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also Angi, remember---there is nothing cast in stone that says you have to do something one way "or else"---if you are worried on cooler rainy days---then haul their butts inside where it is warmer and dry....you do what you feel they (and you) need to do to keep good ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.