Feed. Quantity etc

Steve_carter

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello & hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. So again plenty of conflicting info on the web so I thought I would ask here.

We have read/advised that we should feed our Horsefield tort, Norbert 5/6 times a week. To a quantity of his size? Is this correct? We sprinkle calcium powder on every other day.

He loves his food, he wakes, basks, has a bath (daily) & then his food is ready for him. He eats it all and just wondering if we are feeding enough? We are giving him a variety of foods etc so no problems there. Just want to make sure he is having enough.

We haven't weighed him yet but this is something we are going to do soon to keep records including size also.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello & hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. So again plenty of conflicting info on the web so I thought I would ask here.
There is far too much outdated information on the web. The trusted source to follow is the TFO guide written by one of our species experts working hard to get the most up to date information heard.

Please read these
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

We have read/advised that we should feed our Horsefield tort, Norbert 5/6 times a week.
Your tort must be fed daily.

To a quantity of his size? Is this correct?
A pile of greens roughly the size of his shell is a good starting point, but if he eats it all then give him some more.
We sprinkle calcium powder on every other day.
A tiny pinch three times a week is sufficient. You can over-do it.

He loves his food, he wakes, basks, has a bath (daily) & then his food is ready for him. He eats it all and just wondering if we are feeding enough?
See above :)

We are giving him a variety of foods etc so no problems there. Just want to make sure he is having enough.

We haven't weighed him yet but this is something we are going to do soon to keep records including size also.
A tort's weight varies through the day like yours does, so it's important to weigh at roughly the same time of day each time.

Making it part of the soak routine once a week is fine. In fact, fortnightly is fine!

Don't be tempted to weigh more often, you'll become paranoid!

Steve_carter

UK
Thank you @JoesMum so it's all good to feed him alittle portion say tea time? As working etc can't monitor it through the day. Some days he has it all and some days he's has the majority & leave abit for around lunch time.

Thanks for letting me know about daily feeds. Why do people say 5/6 this was in a Horsefield care book download. Updated: 2015!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts are opportunist feeders. If it's there then they'll eat it.

It's fine if your tort doesn't eat it all in one go. In the wild, they'd alternate between browsing/grazing and basking. They may roam miles on doing so.

Basking is important as without raising their internal temperature they cannot digest their food or be active to go and look for more.

I have no idea where the missing days for feeding originates. No tort would deliberately not eat for a day any more than you would.

Some Russians can be piggies and over-eat, but as long as they have enough space to roam properly it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't get hung up on greens going limp having been left in the enclosure for hours either. They really don't seem to be that particular.

Oh ... and what goes in comes out the other end ... the poop volume increases with food intake :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't disagree with the advice given above

Steve_carter

UK
Torts are opportunist feeders. If it's there then they'll eat it.

It's fine if your tort doesn't eat it all in one go. In the wild, they'd alternate between browsing/grazing and basking. They may roam miles on doing so.

Basking is important as without raising their internal temperature they cannot digest their food or be active to go and look for more.

I have no idea where the missing days for feeding originates. No tort would deliberately not eat for a day any more than you would.

Some Russians can be piggies and over-eat, but as long as they have enough space to roam properly it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't get hung up on greens going limp having been left in the enclosure for hours either. They really don't seem to be that particular.

Oh ... and what goes in comes out the other end ... the poop volume increases with food intake :D

Well that's what I've read. If it's there they'll eat it. He's active & gets his food down him. Just want to make sure it's enough daily that's all without over feeding. I'll try find the link I've read it from & I'll post it here for everyone to read.

Steve_carter

UK
They will only eat it if they're hungry.
When full they will stop.
You can't over feed them if their environment is correct.

I am confident his environment is good. Always active. I've just noticed that since I've been off for afew days & can monitor him more he seems to eat all food before lunch. I wasn't sure if it's normal or to increase. Like I said before from what I've read it's to increase a slow growth so we've been cautious to quantity but after seeing him eat it all & a clean plate I question is it enough? I'll increase it the morning & upload a picture of the quantity & get feedback. Obviously I want to make sure he's getting enough but not to over face him by 'scoffing' his face because it's there. Just @tidgys'add if you say that he will stop when full I would feel more confident. At least he could go back to it if he feels peckish?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am confident his environment is good. Always active. I've just noticed that since I've been off for afew days & can monitor him more he seems to eat all food before lunch. I wasn't sure if it's normal or to increase. Like I said before from what I've read it's to increase a slow growth so we've been cautious to quantity but after seeing him eat it all & a clean plate I question is it enough? I'll increase it the morning & upload a picture of the quantity & get feedback. Obviously I want to make sure he's getting enough but not to over face him by 'scoffing' his face because it's there. Just @tidgys'add if you say that he will stop when full I would feel more confident. At least he could go back to it if he feels peckish?
That's right
He eats a bit, stops, eats a bit more and so on through the day
Food should be available when and if he wants it
They are natural grazers/browsers
In the spring my garden has enough food to feed a thousand torts, but Tidgy will only eat what she needs

Steve_carter

UK
That's right
He eats a bit, stops, eats a bit more and so on through the day
Food should be available when and if he wants it
They are natural grazers/browsers
In the spring my garden has enough food to feed a thousand torts, but Tidgy will only eat what she needs

Thanks for that. I've always been cautious of over feeding. I'll put plenty in tomorrow. See how he gets on. you read that booklet I've linked? Thoughts?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for that. I've always been cautious of over feeding. I'll put plenty in tomorrow. See how he gets on. you read that booklet I've linked? Thoughts?
Not read it, no, but had a look at the site.
Seems to be a sales thingy with a lot of outdated info and overpriced stuff to me.
But twas only a glance, i may be wrong.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Not read it, no, but had a look at the site.
Seems to be a sales thingy with a lot of outdated info and overpriced stuff to me.
But twas only a glance, i may be wrong.
Agreed. First and foremost it's a commercial site selling you stuff. They use 'free information' as a trade lure. As with so many pet stores, they are probably more concerned with the volume of website hits it draws than the accuracy.

'Updating' the information just makes sure Google doesn't start ignoring it. It's probable that little was changed.

Steve_carter

UK
Agreed. First and foremost it's a commercial site selling you stuff. They use 'free information' as a trade lure. As with so many pet stores, they are probably more concerned with the volume of website hits it draws than the accuracy.

'Updating' the information just makes sure Google doesn't start ignoring it. It's probable that little was changed.

That's why I thought it was best to seek advice here. I value opinions & ideas here as everyone on this forum has experience. So on quantity to set the record to feed more than his size. See what he eats, how much he leaves etc and measure it from that? I want him to be happy & healthy so feeding him enough will make me satisfied.

Steve_carter

UK
Sounds good, but try to make sure that the red & green salad leaves and romaine aren't the majority of his diet.

Yeah I try to have weeds as his majority topped with the others. My dandelion flowers in the garden are going now with the season starting to change.... He does like a good dandelion flower on top usually. I don't give him the stalk though? I place it on top like a posh restaurant but he ruins my presentation. Haha! Unfortunately today there was none at home & looking like they are dying off.