Fat or something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdt

5 Year Member
Greetings,

We have had this girl for a few months and we are not sure if this is normal or if she is ill. She is not sluggish and eats like a champ. She is just very puffy. We soaked her and she had bowel movement no problem. She is currently inside, but has been outside since we received her.

colorado-8167.jpg

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Ok, I have a female redfoot that is about 10 inches, about six weeks ago she looked just like your guy. I almost had a heart attack, I rushed her to the vet, she was worm free and thought she might be forming eggs. He did a fecal check for parasites and she was clean. He had be bring her back in 2 weeks to palpitate for eggs. So on the next trip to the vet she was no better. He suggested an X-ray and a complete blood work up. Well she isn't egg bound, and she she has no infection, but she has a build up of fluids inher body. I have slightly altered her diet. He seems to think it is related to her becoming sexually mature, and her hormones. He thought it might take 6 to 8 weeks to clear up. Personally have have never seen this in any of my other tortoises. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I will try to get some photos tomorrow for comparison . Btw my vet bills have been approximated $400. My next option was exploratory surgery starting at $1,000.00.

Let me know how things are going for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.