eye concerns with my male Manouria

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
I am wondering what the advice might be regarding my male Manouria. His conjuctiva are swollen and there is some white build up in the corner of one eye. I am not concerned that it is anything aside from complications due to lower humidity and having central heat. He sees fine and the eyeball itself is not harmed. I have been soaking them about twice a week and usually keep the substrate damp. I cleaned out the cage and might add a humidifier, but I am wondering in a bit of terramycin opthalmic solution wouldn't be a wise idea to help clear up any superficial infection. I am not opposed to a vet exam, but I typically know as much or more than thyy do and could just buy the meds from the clinic, where I used to work. I know there are eye issues associated with hypo/hyper vitaminosis A, but that is unlikely and the female is fine. I think some shed or debris may have just caused an irritation and the dry air makes it harder for the eyes to easily flush debris form the eyes. They have a large soaking dish, but seldom use it. What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
These guys DO seem to have sensitive eyes. I have occasionally seen what you are describing on my own Mep tortoises.

The Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment is truly a miracle drug. You can put a little dab on each eye several times a day. It will clear it right up.

I always thought mine was due to being in the direct sun. What kind of lighting are you using for your Manouria?

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Thank you for your input. I would also like to extend my condolences for your unfortunate circumstances regarding your brother and your tortoise....strength be with you.
Mine are under 75watt incandescent sylvania spot grow bulbs and one flourescent zoomed uvb bulb. They spend all of the time under the fake foliage when not eating. Ill get the opthalmic solution and up the humidity.

emysemys said:
These guys DO seem to have sensitive eyes. I have occasionally seen what you are describing on my own Mep tortoises.

The Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment is truly a miracle drug. You can put a little dab on each eye several times a day. It will clear it right up.

I always thought mine was due to being in the direct sun. What kind of lighting are you using for your Manouria?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Up the humidity.......I've had the same thing happen here in Florida when the humidity drops, which does happen on occasion.....

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
See if you can get some over-the-counter artificial tears ointment and try it first...no need using antibiotics if you don't need them. The reason Terramycin works so well in so many cases is that it lubricates the eyes and the antibiotic has very little to do with most cases. Save the antibiotics for diagnosed cases of bacterial conjunctivitis. If it is truly just humidity problems, you will know very quickly and then you can go for the antibiotics.

doc

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
I'm sorry that my computer has been down and I have been unable to reply to the great advice that has been provided. I wanted to provide and update to my male's eye problem and promote a new substrate choice for forest torts.

I got rid of the coir, which seemed to dry out quickly, become moldy when damp, and attract fungus knats. I now use carefresh, which is made from recycled paper pulp products...it is essentially shredded grey egg cartons. It holds misture well, is unpalatable, but should not be harmful it nibbled, though it could potentially swell in the gut and cause complications. I watched my totoises closely and they did attempt to nibble the product at first, but after one attempt, abandoned it, since it is not palateable. It is great for them to burrow under, it stays damp, without getting overly wet and slowly evaporated its absorbed water to contribute to higher humidity. It is easier to keep out tf the food and water and it does not get into the eyes. The added humidit and cleaner conditions have allowed the eye to clear on its own and the torts are more active and in thier hide less, b/c they burrow into the substrate now, in addition to useing the hide for shelter. I have used this substrate with bearded dragons and uromastyx, as well as caged birds and find it is an excellent, earth-friendly option for many animal husbandry apllications. There are cheaper alternatives that are slightly finer, but should work as well...kaytee is one brand that is similar and cheaper.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll stick to my cypress mulch. I've had no problems at all with it. I just worry about impaction with other substrates.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
i think cypress mulch is ok, but i like a little bit softer substrate, more like leaf litter. I actually had intended to use leaf litter, but decided it was not practical. I think that cypress mulch worked excellently when I housed Kinixys homean in kiddie pools outdoors, but indoors is just not ideal for my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.