Question about breeding age of Manouria emys phayrei

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Hello Everyone!

Sorry if I'm asking a that is here in the forum, but I tried to search for it and came up with nothing.

I am wondering what is the breeding age of Manouria emys phayrei?

I have two 5 year old girls, and think it would be time for me to get a boy, but I'm not sure. They are really heavy and are rough and tough girls. The littler one sometimes mounts other for what I think is dominance. But I think they are both girls because they have small tails. I would like them to have a male to hopefully have fertile eggs and be with those of you that are breeding them.

Thanks for answers!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a juvenile male and female MEP and an adult MEP. The male's appx hatch date was 1985. In 2005 he started 'practice' breeding the girls. And the following year a full grown MEE that was in the yard with them built a nest, laid eggs that subsequently hatched. So, from my experience, the MEP can successfully breed at about 20 years of age. At this age, the male weighed about 40lbs.

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
I found this comment from Vic Morgan: Phayrei can lay viable eggs at 40lbs. As stated their eggs are smaller at this 40lb point. Its the weight of the female not the age. Ive hatched some little 35 gram phayrei and some 47 gram emys emys . The eggs get better with the females weight.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Thank you Yvonne G and Richosullivan, I'm going to weigh the girls this weekend and find out how heavy they are. It looks like have a while to go then before they will breed. 40 lbs is pretty heavy! :p
Thanks again, I know I can get great help and info here.
:<3::tort::<3:

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I have also read that breeding capability has to do with size and weight rather than age. Living in a subtropical climate, my MEE's are growing like weeds and my three year old is about 12 inches long already. The two year olds are growing just as fast.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Darn! :(My girls are heavy but not 40 lbs yet. Sigh,:cool: will be viewing all you who have breeding Mees and Meps with envy. :D Thanks for taking time to post your info to me. :<3: