Extra Heat/Light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliawright

5 Year Member
Hi,

I live in Cyprus and i have 2 greek tortoises. They live outside in an enclosure which has both shade and sun. The day time temps are usually about 20 deg (ish) and night time about 10 degs. My question is what additional heating/Lightening i need for these guys, when they are outside all the time.

thanks
Julia

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Julia:

I don't keep Greek tortoises, so I can't offer you any intelligent suggestions, but I DO have a question. Are your tortoises indigenous to Cyprus? I would think that if you can find them in the wild in your area that you wouldn't need to supplement light and heat.

juliawright

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Julia:

I don't keep Greek tortoises, so I can't offer you any intelligent suggestions, but I DO have a question. Are your tortoises indigenous to Cyprus? I would think that if you can find them in the wild in your area that you wouldn't need to supplement light and heat.

Hi, Thats kind of what i was thinking!! Just want to give them the best i can. One I rescued froma pet shop this weekend. He was in such bad conditions and has a stump on one of feet. I just couldnt leave him there. Going to take him to the vets tomorrow, but after much persuasion i managed to get the shop keeper to give him to me when i explained how bad his conditions were!! After a good bath and a bit to eat he looks much brighter. So fingers crossed he does ok.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Greek tortoises aren't native to Cyprus, but have been introduced. They will do just fine outside all the time with no extra light or heat needed. They will though be less active at those temperatures and will eat less. Make sure you have a place they can spend cool days under. Also make sure it doesn't get wet inside the shelter.

Danny

juliawright

5 Year Member
Thanks for that reassurance. Also might explain why my new greek isnt eating alot, also putting it down to stress of the move.

Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.