Starred agama?

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
A small update:
1. I keep finding him on lying his back. Not sure if it's because of his back legs not working or there is other neurological issue.
2. Haven't seen him hunting roaches yet. He poops daily, perhaps "from the old stocks".
3. After replacing substrate (I've went with coir) and adding a hide I see him exploring a bit (maybe that's why he flips all the time).
4. Besides a puncture on his back there are a few more (on back legs :( ). No bleeding and no signs of rot, hopefully he is healing.

And of course, some pictures.
Bless him! You’re so good for taking him in, he looks to have quite the nice little set up there! I really hope he gets better😞

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A small update:
1. I keep finding him on lying his back. Not sure if it's because of his back legs not working or there is other neurological issue.
2. Haven't seen him hunting roaches yet. He poops daily, perhaps "from the old stocks".
3. After replacing substrate (I've went with coir) and adding a hide I see him exploring a bit (maybe that's why he flips all the time).
4. Besides a puncture on his back there are a few more (on back legs :( ). No bleeding and no signs of rot, hopefully he is healing.

And of course, some pictures.
I sure hope he makes it.

Have you tried tong feeding the roaches? Often the wiggling legs will attract them.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I sure hope he makes it.

Have you tried tong feeding the roaches? Often the wiggling legs will attract them.
I will try! Thanks!

Also I was thinking about catching some large ants for him - they make a large part of their natural diet (up to 50%).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will try! Thanks!

Also I was thinking about catching some large ants for him - they make a large part of their natural diet (up to 50%).
Be careful with ants. They bite. We have ant eating lizards here too. One called a horned toad or horny toad. They only eat the big stinging red ants or the big black carpenter ants. I could only drop in a few at a time, and I had to watch to make sure they were all eaten before adding any more, or they would latch on to him and sting him.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Be careful with ants. They bite. We have ant eating lizards here too. One called a horned toad or horny toad. They only eat the big stinging red ants or the big black carpenter ants. I could only drop in a few at a time, and I had to watch to make sure they were all eaten before adding any more, or they would latch on to him and sting him.
Thank you for the warning! May plan was to catch some large forager ants (not guardians) and then put them in a refrigerator to slow them down and then feed one by one.

Koulouri is more active today, climbing the log and hasn't flipped on his back yet. He was pissed off by a warm soak but then calmed down, closed his eyes and just lied for a few minutes. I'm pretty sure he just played dead, though.

Attachments

• PXL_20240516_072943099.jpg
    PXL_20240516_072943099.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
A small update on Koulouri:
1. He's still alive. That's good.
2. Back legs are still not working, that confusing him and he flips on his back when climbing up or down.
3. During a soak I've seen single "seizure-like" movements of back legs. Also, when I gently poke his back I see legs movement. Hopefully, that means that spinal cord is not damaged and he has a chance to recover.
4. I put a dubia roach in his hide. Then there was some commotion and the roach disappeared. Hopefully, Koulouri had his breakfast, for the first time in a while.
5. The puncture on his back now looks more concerning: there is a little hump around injured area. I'll check tomorrow in a good lightning. Maybe I need some betadine and antibacterial liquid band aid.
6. He bit my finger. This guy is really strong! I was lucky to wear heavy duty gloves :)

And here is a photo of Koulouri trying to do the usual lizard stuff (the greens are to lure out roaches but maybe he will take a bite too). The hump and the puncture can be seen on the photo, but not very clear.

Attachments

• PXL_20240517_143345195.jpg
    PXL_20240517_143345195.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
A small update on Koulouri:
1. He's still alive. That's good.
2. Back legs are still not working, that confusing him and he flips on his back when climbing up or down.
3. During a soak I've seen single "seizure-like" movements of back legs. Also, when I gently poke his back I see legs movement. Hopefully, that means that spinal cord is not damaged and he has a chance to recover.
4. I put a dubia roach in his hide. Then there was some commotion and the roach disappeared. Hopefully, Koulouri had his breakfast, for the first time in a while.
5. The puncture on his back now looks more concerning: there is a little hump around injured area. I'll check tomorrow in a good lightning. Maybe I need some betadine and antibacterial liquid band aid.
6. He bit my finger. This guy is really strong! I was lucky to wear heavy duty gloves :)

And here is a photo of Koulouri trying to do the usual lizard stuff (the greens are to lure out roaches but maybe he will take a bite too). The hump and the puncture can be seen on the photo, but not very clear.
Oh bless him! I love the name Alex!😅
Definitely sounds like he’s got some slightly concerning things going on, makes me wonder if he’ll be able to be released😕that lump is a bit worrying but hopefully if you can give it a good clean with some betadine it’ll see off any potential infection that’s brewing there, wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what the swelling is, cat bites are full of bacteria😔I don’t suppose down the line you could seek some veterinary advice? Just if he needs any pain management?
He sounds a feisty little fella which is promising to hear! You’re doing SO well with him!!❤️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I wonder if you have yourself a new little pet here🥲..if he remains disabled that is

I also wonder if potentially that swelling is pushing on his spinal cord, causing the leg issues, be great if once it goes down he regains more use of his back legs!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh bless him! I love the name Alex!😅
Definitely sounds like he’s got some slightly concerning things going on, makes me wonder if he’ll be able to be released😕that lump is a bit worrying but hopefully if you can give it a good clean with some betadine it’ll see off any potential infection that’s brewing there, wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what the swelling is, cat bites are full of bacteria😔I don’t suppose down the line you could seek some veterinary advice? Just if he needs any pain management?
He sounds a feisty little fella which is promising to hear! You’re doing SO well with him!!❤️
Thank you!
I won't release him back. The recovery will take a long time (and I doubt he will fully recover). Also, I don't want him to carry any diseases back in the wild (like it happened with Gopher tortoises for example). So he will stay as long as he wills to live.

I'll see if veterinary intervention is required (I hope for a good advise on that). Good exotics are rare birds in general and especially in a small country such as Cyprus.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you!
I won't release him back. The recovery will take a long time (and I doubt he will fully recover). Also, I don't want him to carry any diseases back in the wild (like it happened with Gopher tortoises for example). So he will stay as long as he wills to live.

I'll see if veterinary intervention is required (I hope for a good advise on that). Good exotics are rare birds in general and especially in a small country such as Cyprus.
Aw that’s completely fair enough! I think he’ll be quite happy with you Alex! And at least he’ll never have to worry about be snatched by a cat again!! Has himself a lovely safe home with you, certainly got blessed you came along🥰
And yeah I understand, that’s definitely tricky, for what it’s worth, he’s probably in safer hands with you than he is with any wildlife rescue over there, as I imagine they’re very few and far between for reptiles where you are😕
Definitely keep us updated on the little fella❤️

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Koulouri has passed today. He went to his hide after morning basking and a few hours later I have found him dead with open mouth and rigid body.

We have buried him under a small orange tree. At least, he didn't end his life as a cats toy and he is not numb and not in pain now. It was a great week together. Farewell, little fella. 🦎

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Koulouri has passed today. He went to his hide after morning basking and a few hours later I have found him dead with open mouth and rigid body.

We have buried him under a small orange tree. At least, he didn't end his life as a cats toy and he is not numb and not in pain now. It was a great week together. Farewell, little fella. 🦎
I’m so sorry to hear this Alex😞you did your absolute best for him! and gave him a nice sense of security in his finale days, I’m so glad you found him and he got to pass in a safe cosy home, rest peacefully little Koulouri, you put up one hell of a fight💚

zovick

10 Year Member!

Well, it is sad to hear this news, but good that you kept his suffering to an absolute minimum.

Good work.

zolasmum

5 Year Member

I'm so very sorry - you cared for him so well, and he must have sensed that, I'm sure - thank you for trying so hard to help him.
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bummer. I was hoping he'd pull through. Cat bites are a nasty thing. Even minor cat bites will kill raptors and send humans to the hospital with septicemia.

Your efforts were admirable. You are a fine wildlife ambassador. RIP Koulouri.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
You did your best for his last days, it is sad that he didn't make it. He probably wouldn't have made it this far injured in the wild. Hope that his story will be remembered as an example to cat owners.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Some lessons learned:
1. Never underestimate any wounds. I've been wrong with this puncture on his back - no blood, no discharge and I thought it can heal on its own with some topic medications. I should have contacted vet for debridement of the puncture and to treat systemic infection. But probably it was too late at that point, I tend to think he became a cat's prey twice (first, when he's got a puncture on his back and the second when I have found him weakened by cold and infection).
2. Have your "first aid kit" ready: Betadine, Neosporin (or other anitbiotic ointment), chlorhexidine, syringes (for flushing wounds and feeding), liquid or patch band aid to protect the open wounds, vinyl gloves for handling. Also, make a cheat sheet on applying medications, dilutions for different cases and basic handling procedures.
3. I should have tried to feed him from a syringe earlier when realized that he doesn't hunt live insects. There are feeding gels for bearded dragons and geckos which might have worked for me in that case.
4. It was hard to assess his status - they are hardy and never show signs of weakness until drop dead.

Last edited:

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Some lessons learned:
1. Never underestimate any wounds. I've been wrong with this puncture on his back - no blood, no discharge and I thought it can heal on its own with some topic medications. I should have contacted vet for debridement of the puncture and to treat systemic infection. But probably it was too late at that point, I tend to think he became a cat's prey twice (first, when he's got a puncture on his back and the second when I have found him weakened by cold and infection).
2. Have your "first aid kit" ready: Betadine, Neosporin (or other anitbiotic ointment), chlorhexidine, syringes (for flushing wounds and feeding), liquid or patch band aid to protect the open wounds, vinyl gloves for handling. Also, make a cheat sheet on applying medications, dilutions for different cases and basic handling procedures.
3. I should have tried to feed him from a syringe earlier when realized that he doesn't hunt live insects. There are feeding gels for bearded dragons and geckos which might have worked for me in that case.
4. It was hard to assess his status - they are hardy and never show signs of weakness until drop dead.
Yeah, that is another important lesson. Every pet owner should have their first aid supplies ready. Also, many animals avoid showing that they are in pain and this seems to be true with all reptiles.